Achari bhindi recipe – Okras are stir-fried with mustard oil and spices similar to used for making pickle.
Recently I have shared bhindi raita recipe. At that time, I have mentioned about this achari bhindi masala recipe. So here I am with quick and easy bhindi sabzi recipe. For those who are not familiar, achar means pickle.
At home, we do not eat the pickle that much. As a kid, I used to enjoy pickle but not anymore. Just because I cannot handle the floating oil in the pickle. That’s the reason, you do not find any pickle recipe on the blog. But still I like the taste of it and do crave for it.
So I have replicated that pickle taste in this achari bhindi recipe.
It is medium spicy with full of complex flavors with dominating mustard oil flavor.
Speaking of pickle spices, here I have used mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds powder. Apart from this, regular usual spices are also added.
Making this achari bhindi sabzi in mustard oil makes it more pickley (if that is a word!!).
How to make achari bhindi recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) First clean and cut the bhindi. Doing it properly is the key to making non-sticky bhindi sabzi. Here in aloo bhindi recipe, I have explained in detail with pics.
In short, wash the okra well. If you have time, let it dry completely. Or wipe it dry using kitchen towel or paper towel. Then cut and discard the head and tail part of the okra and start chopping. During the chopping process, if the knife gets sticky wipe it using a paper towel and continue chopping.
2) Heat the mustard oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, let them pop.
3) Then add fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Let them sizzle a bit.
4) Now add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped chilies. Saute for 30-40 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
5) Then add chopped bhindi.
6) Stir well.
7) Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and fennel seeds powder.
8) Mix well so all the spices are coated to the bhindi.
9) Cover it with the lid and cook till okra are soft, cooked and tender. Do stir once or twice in between and make sure that it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
10) Once cooked, lastly squeeze the fresh lemon or lime juice.
11) Stir well to combine.
Sabzi is ready to serve. If not serving right away then keep it covered, so it stays warm for some time.
Achari bhindi recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 200 grams or 2 cups Okra (Bhindi) chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mustard oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 8-9 seeds or ⅛ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- ½ teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- Salt - to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds powder
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- First wash the bhindi and wipe it clean, dry using kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Now cut and discard the head and tail part of bhindi.
- Then chop them. As the knife gets sticky, wipe it clean using paper towel.
- Keep chopping and wiping the knife as it gets sticky.
Making achari bhindi recipe:
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds, let them pop.
- Then add fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Let them sizzle a bit.
- Now add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped chilies. Saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Then add chopped bhindi. Stir well.
- Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and fennel seeds powder.
- Mix well so all the spices are coated to the bhindi.
- Cover it with the lid and cook till okra are soft, cooked and tender. Do stir once or twice in between.
- Once cooked, lastly squeeze the fresh lemon or lime juice. Stir well to combine.
- Then turn off the stove.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving