Aloo shimla mirch is semi dry subzi which goes perfect with rotis or phulkas. Aloo or potato is a kind of vegetable which we can pair with any vegetable. Earlier I made aloo gobi, aloo mutter, aloo with cabbage, aloo baingan and my favorite aloo methi. I used green bell pepper for this subzi but you can use any yellow, red, orange pepper or you can mix them. Green bell pepper with potatoes is very flavorful and delicious curry which is staple in my house. So get in your kitchen and make this aloo shimla mirch. I am sure you will definitely love this.
Here’s the handy dandy printable:
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick – ½ inch
- Bay leaf – 1
- Onion – ½ cup, cubed
- Potatoes – 1 ¼ cups, cubed
- Green pepper (Capsicum) – 1 ¼ cup, cubed
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala – ¼ teaspoon
- Water – ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Let the cumin seeds sizzle and you get nice fragrant from cinnamon and bay leaf.
- Then add onions. And sauté them till they are translucent and barely light brown. It will take about 3 minutes.
- Then add potatoes and capsicum. Mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add ½ cup of water. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook it till potatoes are done. It will take about 10 minutes and all the water will absorbed.
- Add garam masala. Mix well.
- Serve hot.