Aloo tikki burger – a fusion snack recipe that combines Indian traditional chaat and western fast food.
Tikki is made from boiled potatoes and green peas with some Indian spices and lemon juice. If you want you can add shreeded carrot or boiled and mashed green beans, corn or other veggies of your choice. If other veggies are added then this will be veggie burger not aloo tikki burger.
The spread or sauce and toppings for this burger are very usual and common. Mayonnaise and ketchup is used as a spread while lettuce, tomato and onion is used as toppings. If you like you can add shredded carrots or beetroots as well. If the lettuce is not available then use the cabbage leaf. Please steam the cabbage leaves, so it softens a bit and then use in the burger.
For the variations, try with flavored mayonnaise. One reader suggested to mix the mayonnaise with little basil pesto, very clever idea.
As you know that aloo tikki is most popular snack or street food in India. And this tikki is used as a patty for this Indo-western burger. I have made the patties same as my aloo tikki recipe.
Here in USA, I have tried many veggie burger and beans burger at many different places. But I never get satisfied because they are not moist at all (because they use frozen patty, hence patty is dry). The other reason is that patties are deep fried and so they are very greasy.
My friends in India told me that McDonald’s in India has good aloo tikki burger, but I have never tried that. So I thought I should make it at home with my aloo tikki recipe. Because I do not know what ingredients are used in Mc Aloo tikki burger. Let me tell you, the result is just yum. Patty was so moist and not greasy at all. I and dear husband just loved it.
Addition of cheese and melting it slightly on the patty while cooking it in the pan, makes it more delicious and flavorful. Also fresh veggies as a topping gives crunchy and fresh flavors to the burger.
Here I have used potato burger buns. You can use whole wheat or multigrain burger buns for healthier option.
I would consider homemade aloo tikki burger is healthy even though it is not. It is healthier than outside fast food because patty is not fried. Veggies used in topping are fresh and hygienic. Hence homemade fast food is always healthy, hygienic and delicious.
How to make aloo tikki burger (Step by step recipe with photos):
1) Boil the potatoes in pressure cooker and also boil the green peas. You can cook peas in microwave for 4-5 minutes as well. Peel the boiled potatoes and mash it.
2) Take mashed potatoes and peas in a bowl.
3) Mash both together using potato masher, so everything gets well blended.
4) Add green chilies, cilantro, red chili powder, chaat masala, and salt.
5) Squeeze fresh lemon juice.
6) Mix everything together.
7) Divide it into 4 equal portions and make large patties out of it. You can adjust the size of the patty as per your burger bun’s size. You may get more patties out of this mixture.
8) Take breadcrumbs in a small plate. and dip one patty at a time and coat it with the bread crumbs. Lightly press the crumbs so it stick to the patty.
9) Keep ready all the patties like this.
10) Now heat the oil or butter in pan on medium heat. Toast the burger buns from both the sides.
11) I like them toasted. But you can skip this step as well.
12) Again add some more oil to fry the patties. Gentely place the patty and fry till golden brown from the bottom.
13) Then very carefully and without breaking fip it and cook on other side as well.
14) When bottom side is about to be ready means before a minute or two, place a cheese slice on top of the patty, so cheese will get melted slightly.
15) While patties are getting cooked. Apply a tablespoon of mayonnaise on the inner side of the bottom bun.
16) Spread some ketchup as well.
17) Place a lettuce leaf on that.
18) Now patty is cooked and cheese it melted slightly. Gently lift the patty using spatula and place it on the lettuce leaf.
19) Arrange tomato sliced on top of it.
20) and then onion rings.
21) Close the burger with top bun and serve immediately.
If you make this aloo tikki burger for your kids or for your loved ones. Please do let me know how you like it in the comments below. If you have any sauce or topping suggestions then do let me know, I would love to try your version as well.
Serving suggestion: Serve french fries or baked potato wedges (for healthier option) on side and make it a meal. Other options for sides are light veggie salad or sweet potato fries or potato chips. Serve a glass of juice or soda on side. Kids will love it. Make small sized burger and enjoy it as a snack. It can be light meal if french fries or oven baked potato wedges or vegetable salad is served on side.
Aloo tikki burger recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For aloo tikkis:
- 3 medium or 1 ½ cups Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- ¾ cup Green peas boiled
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- ¼ cup Breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons Oil for shallow frying the patties
for making burger and toppings:
- 4 Burger buns
- 4 slices Cheese
- 4 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup or to taste
- 4 leaves Lettuce
- 2 medium Tomato sliced
- 1 small Onion sliced
Making aloo tikki:
- Boil and mash potatoes and peas. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl except oil.
- Make patties out of this mixture. The size of the patty should depend on the size of burger bun.
- Make all the patty, take breadcrumbs in a plate and coat each patty with the breadcrumbs. Press it lightly, so crumbs stick to the patty.
- Toast the bun if you want or skip.
- Heat the oil for shallow frying the tikki. Shallow fry it till it is gloden brown. Drizzle some more oil on top and flip it very carefully so it does not break.
- Cook bottom side as well.
- When patty is about to ready, place a cheese slice on patty and let it melt slightly.
Making aloo tikki burger:
- Spread the mayonnaise and ketchup on the bottom burger bun.
- put the lettuce leaf on it.
- Now using the spatula lift the patty and place on lettuce leaf.
- Top it with tomato slices and onion rings.
- Close the burger with top bun and serve.