Beetroot Rice Recipe – This delicious tasting beet rice can be ready in 10-15 minutes, if you have cooked rice ready or if using leftover rice.
If you are regular here, you probably know that I love the rice preparation for our lunch box. Just because they are quick to make and very easy to reheat. This one is also I made for his Lunch box and packed yogurt in separate container.
The addition of lemon juice balances the sweetness of the beetroot. This both combined gives the perfect taste and flavor.
In this beetroot rice, I have added few spice powders which gives medium spicy taste. But occasionally I do make mild beetroot pulao without any spice powders. I will share that recipe sometime in future.
At the end, I have added fresh mint leaves along with coriander leaves. Addition of mint leaves is optional, But if you can I would highly recommend.
How to make Beetroot Rice Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Cook the rice ahead of time and let them cool down slightly. So rice grains will have some time to firm up. So while mixing later on, they will not break or will not get mushy.
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add peanuts.
2) Saute with stirring constantly till peanuts are golden brown in color.
3) Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
4) Then add ginger paste, chopped green chili and sliced onions. Sprinkle salt over it.
5) Mix well and let them cook.
6) Cook till onion becomes soft and translucent or light pink in color.
7) Then add grated beetroot.
8) Mix well and cook uncovered. Do stir once or twice in between.
9) As beet gets cooked, it shrinks and breaks easily.
10) Now add red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
11) Mix well and saute for a minute.
12) Add cooked rice. If your cooked rice is already salted then you are good. If not then you may need to add little more salt here.
13) Mix it carefully and gently till well combined. And cook for 2-3 minutes or till the rice gets heated through.
14) Now add coriander leaves and mint leaves.
15) Also squeeze the lemon juice.
16) Mix well and turn off the stove.
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 cups Cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 1 cup Onion sliced
- 1 cup Beetroot grated
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mint leaves finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add peanuts and saute till peanuts are golden brown.
Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Now add ginger paste, green chili and onion with little sprinkle of salt. Cook till onions are soft and light pink in color.
Now mix in grated beetroot and cook till soft.
Now add spice powders (red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala). Mix and cook for a minute.
Add cooked rice. Also add salt if required. Mix gently and let it get heated through for 2-3 minutes.
Lastly add coriander leaves, mint leaves and squeeze the lemon juice. Mix well and turn off the stove.