Besan barfi Recipe – This is the simple version of besan burfi recipe which is made from only FOUR ingredients, gram flour, semolina, sugar and clarified butter aka desi ghee.
Usually it is made with only besan. But here I have added little amount of sooji in it. It adds nice texture to the barfi. If made with only besan, you may find it is sticking to the teeth and roof of your mouth while eating. But addition of sooji avoids this situation and makes burfi melt in your mouth.
The method of making it very easy and beginners can also make it without any fail. There are few simple steps, roast besan-sooji mixture, add sugar and mix. Pour into tray and let it set. Isn’t it simple?
There is another method where 1 ½ – 2 thread consistency sugar syrup is made. And mixed with roasted besan. Sometimes it is little tricker and you may mess up with it if your are not familiar with thread consistency. So I have avoided this traditional method.
There is another version of making besan barfi which has khoya or mawa in it. It is called besan mawa barfi. I will share this version later.
While making any sweets or mithai from besan, you need to roast the besan very well. Be patient, it takes some time. I have shown all the different stages and explained all the steps properly in below step by step photo instructions. Read it carefully and understand well before making.
How to make Besan Barfi Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Prep: Grease the 5-6 inch tray or plate with ghee and keep it aside.
1) Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Let it melt.
2) Once it gets hot, add besan and sooji.
3) Mix well. It looks lumpy and dry. You may think that ghee quantity looks less, but that is not the case here. Don’t worry and Keep stirring constantly, continue roasting on medium-low heat.
4) After few minutes, you will see the mixture becomes pasty from lumpy. Continue stirring and roasting, do not take break in this task otherwise besan may get burnt.
5) After sometime, you will notice the slight color change and it becomes more liquidy. You will also get the nice toasty aroma of the besan.
6) After roasting for 10 minutes on medium-low heat, you can see it becomes very thin, runny and ghee starts to ooze out from the sides. At this time, besan is roasted well and we are ready for next step.
7) Add sugar and cardamom powder.
8) Mix well. As soons as it is mixed, turn off the stove. At first it looks too dry and not spreadable. But the heat from besan will melt the sugar.
9) Pour into the greased tray and spread it evenly.
10) Garnish it with almond halves. I have estimated the square cuts and put the almond half in the center of the square piece.
11) Once it is almost set (not completely set) and still warm, cut and make indentations for the pieces.
12) Now let it set completely for few hours. Again grease the knife and cut into square pieces. Remove the pieces gently and serve. Note: as it cools, it gets lighter in color.
You can store this besan burfi in airtight container for about a week at room temperature.
Serving suggestion: Serve a piece of besan barfi as a sweet dessert after meal or along with meal. On the diwali festival, this can be served to the guests along with savory diwali snacks.
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
- ⅓ cup Ghee (clarified butter) measured in semi-solid form
- 1 cup Besan (gram flour)
- ¼ cup Sooji (rava or semolina)
- ⅔ cup Sugar (If the sugar has bigger granules then grind to make powder)
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- 5 Almonds (blanched, skin removed and halved)
Grease the tray or thali using ghee and keep it aside.
Measure all the ingredients and keep it ready.
If the sugar has bigger granules then grind into the grinder to make fine powder. I have very small granules so I skipped this step.
Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add besan and sooji, turn the heat to medium-low.
Mix, stir constantly and keep roasting. In the beginning, it looks dry and lumpy. But keep stirring and roasting, as time goes it becomes runny, pasty and ghee starts to ooze out from the sides. You will also see the color change and notice the roasted besan aroma. The whole roasting process takes around 8-10 minutes.
Once roasted well, add sugar and cardamom powder.
Mix and turn off the stove.
Pour and spread the mixture into prepared, greased plate.
Garnish with almonds.
Once it is almost set and still warm, make the indentation for the square cuts.
Now let it set completely for few hours. Once set, cut into squares or cubes. Gently remove the pieces and serve.