Bhel puri recipe – The most popular street food, chaat recipe and loved by all. It is the combination of different tastes (sweet, spicy and tangy) with different texture (Crispy yet soft).
While making bhel puri recipe, we are using three different kind of chutneys (spicy green chutney, khatti meethi tamarind date chutney and hot garlic chutney). Since these chutneys are wet in nature, this bhel is also called ‘Geela bhel’ where geela is the Hindi term for wet.
Here I have added raw mango which gives nice tangy taste to the bhel. If you do not have mango on hand or not in season then you can drizzle little lemon juice for that tangy taste.
Addition of pomegranate arils and sprouts are optional. If you have add it, if not no worries. It won’t make much difference in taste.
If you are in USA and you want to make quick bhel puri then buy the pack of bhel mix from Indian grocery store. I have seen Surti brand available in nearby store. In this case you do not have to get the sev, papdi and puffed rice separately. That mix has already these things in it. You just have to add chopped onion, tomato, potato, spice powders and chutneys. You are good to go.
How to make bhel puri recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) First dry roast the puffed rice on medium flame for few minutes or till they become crisp. Let them cool down and take into a large bowl along with sev and papdi.
2) Break the papdis into small pieces using your hand.
3) Mix everything.
4) Now add onion, tomato, sprouted moong, potato, raw mango, pomegranate and coriander leaves.
5) Also sprinkle salt and chaat masala. Be careful while adding salt since chaat masala also has salt in it.
6) Sprinkle roasted cumin powder.
7) Now drizzle green chutney
8) Followed by tamarind date chutney.
9) Also add red garlic chutney
10) Quickly mix everything well.
Remove it to a serving bowl, garnish with more sev and papdi, serve right away before it gets soggy.
- If making bigger batch or for more people then make in batches. Keep all the elements ready on the counter top and keep one bowl for mixing. Make two servings at a time for easy and proper mixing.
- If making this for parties or larger group of people, Then arrange the different elements in separate bowls on the table and let the guests make their own servings.
Serving suggestion: Bhel puri should be served immediately. Enjoy this as a snack.
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 cups Murmura (puffed rice or mamra) Dry roasted
- 1 cup Thin nylon sev
- 8-10 Papdi
- ¼ cup Onion chopped finely
- ¼ cup Tomato chopped finely
- ¼ cup Sprouted moong optional
- ¼ cup Potatoes Boiled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Raw mango (Unripe mango) chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Pomegranate arils optional
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
- 3 tablespoons Green coriander chutney or Mint chutney
- 3 tablespoons Meethi chutney (Tamarind date chutney)
- 1-2 teaspoons Red garlic chutney
- First dry roast the puffed rice on medium flame for few minutes or till they become crisp. Let them cool down and take into a large bowl along with sev and papdi.
- Break the papdis into small pieces using your hand and mix everything.
- Now add onion, tomato, sprouted moong, potato, raw mango, pomegranate and coriander leaves.
- Also sprinkle salt, chaat masala and roasted cumin powder. Be careful while adding salt since chaat masala also has salt in it.
- Now drizzle green chutney, tamarind date chutney and red garlic chutney
- Quickly mix everything well.
- Remove it to a serving bowl, garnish with more sev and papdi, serve right away before it gets soggy.