Cabbage sambharo recipe – This is nothing but the Gujarati style warm cabbage salad. It is QUICK and EASY to make. This is my go to side salad when I make roti, sabzi for our meal.
- 1 ½ cups Cabbage thinly shredded
- 1 ½ teaspoon Oil -
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 2 small Green chilies slit
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 drops Lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add curry leaves and green chilies, sauté for a minute.
- Add cabbage and salt; mix well and cook for only 2 minutes. Cabbage should stay crunchy means it should be cooked only 30-40 percent.
- Turn off the stove,
- squeeze few drop of lemon on it, mix and serve warm.
The key to make it perfect is that cabbage should remain crunchy; it should not be cooked all the way through.
It has slight spicy taste from slit green chilies. Also it has very subtle flavor of curry leaves that added in tempering. Few drops of lemon juice at the end give an extra zing to the dish.
There are many varieties of sambharo recipes like carrot sambharo and papaya sambharo.
I have seen many bloggers making cabbage and carrot sambharo mixed. But honestly I have never tried that combo, I should try some time. I make only cabbage one or only carrot one separately just because my mom makes it that way and this is how I grew up eating.
Some household add pinch of turmeric powder in it, if you like you can add.
If you are one of those who likes to take a small bite of fried chili or chili pickle during their meal then I strongly recommend that during the tempering fry slit green chilies little longer (so it gets crispy and fried) and then add curry leaves. Those chilies will be fantastic in taste.
How to make cabbage sambharo recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
2) Then add curry leaves and green chilies, sauté for a minute.
3) Add cabbage and salt; mix well and cook for only 2 minutes. Cabbage should stay crunchy means it should be cooked only 30-40 percent.
4) Turn off the stove, squeeze few drop of lemon on it, mix. You can mix in little chopped coriander leaves at the end.
This salad tastes best when served warm.
Serving suggestion: serve as a side salad with your meal.