Farali coconut chutney recipe – This is farali nariyal ki chutney. Meaning this can be consumed during the vrat, fast or upvaas like Navratri, ekadasi, maha shivratri and so on.
farali coconut chutney recipe
For farali coconut chutney:
- ½ cup coconut Fresh or frozen, grate
- ¼ cup Peanuts
- 5-6 sprigs Cilantro or coriander leaves
- 1 Green chili
- Rock salt (sendha namak) to taste
- 2 tablespoons Plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Water or as needed to make grinding easy
For tempering or tadka -
- 2 teaspoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Curry leaves optional
making coconut chutney:
- Prep all the ingredients for chutney, wash coriander leaves and chili.
- Take all chutney ingredients in the grinder and make smooth paste by adding very little water as required.
- Remove it to a bowl.
- Heat the ghee in a small pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then saute curry leaves for few seconds.
- Immediately add this tadka to the chutney. Mix well
There is another chutney recipe on blog which can be consumed during vrat – Phalahari chutney
Peanuts are added to this chutney. It gives nice texture and makes really thick chutney. Also it added good nutty flavor. As all the water part is absorbed by the peanuts. Thus you will have really thick chutney.
Yogurt is added in this recipe which balances the slight sweet tone of fresh coconut. Green chili adds a hint of spicy taste.
Few sprigs of coriander leaves are also added. Many people do not eat during the fasting. So please consult with your elders and then add in the recipe. If you are not sure then you can skip it as well.
I also tempered the chutney (same as regular coconut coriander chutney) with cumin seeds and curry leaves. If you do not eat curry leaves while fasting then skip it or you can skip the tempering step entirely. It will still taste good.
How to make farali coconut chutney recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Prep all the ingredients for chutney, wash coriander leaves and chili.
2) Take all chutney ingredients (coconut, peanuts, green chili, cilantro, rock salt, yogurt) in the grinder and make smooth paste by adding very little water as required.
3) Now make tadka or tempering. Heat the ghee in a small pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
4) Then saute curry leaves for few seconds.
5) Immediately add this tadka to the chutney.
6) Mix well
Chutney is ready to serve.