Coconut chutney recipe – quick and easy to make basic south Indian coconut chutney recipe which goes perfect with idli, dosa, vada, uttapam.
Whenever I prepare south Indian dishes, I usually make coconut coriander chutney to go with it. We love that chutney so much that I was not making any other variety at all in last few years.
But recently when I made idli, I wanted to try a new version. Not sure what I was thinking and decided to try the different chutney. But the decision of perfect. We both loved this coconut chutney too. From now I will be making this one too regularly and planning to try few other varieties too.
This is simple and basic coconut chutney which is staple in South Indian cuisine. The procedure can’t be easier than this. Grind all the ingredients in the blender and add the tempering on top. Chutney will be ready in few minutes.
— Coconut: Here I have used frozen coconut which needs to be defrosted before grinding. Trust me, defrosting makes the grinding job much easier. if using the fresh then it is perfect.
— Roasted chana dal: Many times, if you may have noticed that water is separating from the chutney. To avoid that, roasted chana dal is added. It absorbs the water and make thick and right consistency.
— Green chili: I have used only 1 green chili which gives mild chutney. If you want spicy you can add more.
— Curry leaves: They are usually added while tempering. But try it this way by grinding it. You will notice the flavor difference. Don’t forget to wash your curry leaves or wipe it clean using damp towel.
How to make coconut chutney (Step by Step Recipe with Photos):
1) Take all the chutney ingredients (coconut, roasted chana dal, green chili, curry leaves, ginger) with little water into the blender. First add water and then rest of the ingredients for easy grinding.
2) Make smooth paste out of it. Remove it to a bowl.
3) Heat the oil for tempering in a small pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
4) Then add urad dal and saute till it becomes light brown in color. Do not burn them.
5) Now add to the prepared chutney.
6) Mix well.
Chutney is ready to serve.
- ½ cup Coconut (Chopped or grated), If using frozen, defrost it first
- 1 tablespoon Roasted chana dal (Fried gram or daria, dalia)
- 1 large Green chili
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- ½ inch Ginger
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
- Take all the chutney ingredients with little water into the blender.
- First add water and then rest of the ingredients for easy grinding.
- Make smooth paste out of it. Remove it to a bowl.
- Heat the oil for tempering in a small pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add urad dal and saute till it becomes light brown in color.
- Now add to the prepared chutney.
- Mix well.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving (~ 3 tablespoons)