Coconut curd chutney recipe – yet another variation to the coconut chutney. As the name says, it is made from coconut and yogurt. Tempering is made on top to enhance its flavor.
Coconut curd chutney recipe
- ½ cup Coconut grated
- ½ cup Plain yogurt (dahi or curd)
- 2-3 Green chilies
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 ½ teaspoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 Dried red chilies
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- a small pinch or ⅛ teaspoon Hing (asafetida)
Making coconut curd chutney recipe:
- Take grated coconut, yogurt and chilies in a mixer jar.
- Add only ¼ cup of water.
- Grind into smooth paste.
- Remove it to a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a small tadka pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add dried red chilies and saute for few seconds. You will notice they will darken in color.
- Now add curry leaves and hing.
- Add this tempering to the prepared chutney.
- Stir to combine.
South Indian breakfast whether it is idli, uttapam, dosa or upma is not complete without chutney on side. And coconut based chutneys are most popular amongst all.
Today’s version is with curd. It adds slight sour taste to the chutney. Adjust the amount of chilies as per your liking spiciness. I prefer mild so I have added only 2 small chilies.
Whenever I am making south Indian meal or breakfast, I try to make different chutney each and every time. So we do not get bored of having same old things. Variations in side dishes show some excitement to the whole meal.
For the convenience, I always use the frozen coconut. For that I let it defrost on the counter top. And I use the hot or warm water while grinding. This helps in making smooth chutney even if using frozen.
I usually make large batch of chutneys and I freeze the leftovers for later use. This becomes very handy on busy weekdays.
How to make coconut curd chutney recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take grated coconut, yogurt and chilies in a mixer jar. Also add only ¼ cup of water.
2) Grind into smooth paste.
3) Remove it to a bowl.
4) Heat the oil in a small tadka pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
5) Then add dried red chilies and saute for few seconds. You will notice they will darken in color.
6) Now add curry leaves and hing.
7) Add this tempering to the prepared chutney.
8) Stir to combine. Chutney is ready to serve.