Corn flakes chivda recipe – easy to make, healthy snack or namkeen recipe for Diwali festival.
Corn flakes chivda recipe
- 4 cups Corn flakes cereal **Notes
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Green chilies chopped finely
- 6 Curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons Cashews broken
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts
- 2 tablespoons Dalia (roasted chana dal)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Fennel seeds powder
- ½ teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar powdered
- Salt to taste
Making corn flakes chivda recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
- Then add chopped green chilies and curry leaves. Fry it till they dry out. make sure that chilies and curry leaves do not have any moisture left.
- Then add peanuts, dalia and cashews. Roast them with stirring continuously till it becomes light brown and crispy.
- Then add all spice powders along with salt and sugar. Mix well.
- And immediately add corn flakes.
- Mix it very gently and carefully till all the masala is coated and then turn off the stove.
Corn flakes cereal - I have used Kellogg’s corn flakes cereal. Alternately you can use dried yellow corn flakes aka corn poha or makai poha. In this case, you need to deep fry the dried corn flakes in the oil first, then use in the recipe.
Many calls this makai poha chivda or corn poha chivda. While many calls this corn flakes mixture. Whatever the name of the dish, this chivda is just fantastic and delicious.
My mom makes this chivda with dry yellow colored corn flakes aka makai poha or corn poha. These need to be deep fried on the oil first, then mixed with nuts and spices.
But here I have chosen the healthy version and used the kellog’s corn flakes cereals. Because I have used cereal, there is no need to deep fry them. Use the cereal directly in the recipe.
During the diwali festive season, my mom makes many different chivda recipes and this makai poha chivda. When I was kid, I always wait for diwali, so I can enjoy these different chivdas.
I have added amchur powder which gives the slight tang to the chivda. Also sugar is added to balance out the flavors.
Here I have added peanuts, dalia and cashews. You can adjust the nuts quantity as per your liking. If you like one nuts than other, increase its quantity.
How to make corn flakes chivda recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
2) Then add chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
3) Fry it till they dry out. Because it is dry chivda and we do not want any moisture in it to increase the shelf life of chivda. So make sure that chilies and curry leaves are dried out completely.
4) Then add peanuts, dalia and cashews.
5) Roast them with stirring continuously till it becomes light brown and crispy.
6) Then add all spice powders (red chili powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds powder, amchur powder) along with salt and sugar.
7) Mix well.
8) And immediately add corn flakes.
9) Mix it very gently and carefully till all the masala is coated and then turn off the stove. Do it gently because we do not want to break corn flakes.
Once it cools completely, store in airtight container/dabba/jar.
Serving suggestion: Serve this corn flakes chivda as an afternoon snack. Or munch them on any time of the day.