Curry leaves chutney recipe – South Indian chutney made from curry leaves and coconut. This goes perfect as a side with idli, dosa, vada, uttapam.
I always have curry leaves in my fridge and use it in my day to day cooking like dal, sabzi and kadhi.
The other day, I was looking into small booklet of Andhra recipes and I found this curry leaves chutney recipe.
That weekend, I made this chutney and also made rava uttapam to have it as a breakfast. We both just loved it. I have never imagined that this herb could made this delicious chutney.
The leftover I stored into the fridge. And after few days we had it with dhokla and it was good combination.
Here I have used added little amount of peanuts. But the original recipe was calling for sesame seeds. You can use any. You can use roasted bengal gram aka dalia too.
Other than curry leaves, coconut is added as a main ingredient.
The important thing to note while sauteing curry leaves, DO NOT overcook them. Otherwise chutney will not taste good.
How to make curry leaves chutney recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
2) Then add chopped green chilies, ginger, garlic and onion.
3) Mix and cook till onion becomes soft and light brown in color.
4) Then add curry leaves.
5) Mix and saute for 2-3 minutes only or till they become slight crisp. Let it cool slightly.
6) Take that into the grinder jar.
7) Add grated coconut, peanuts and salt.
8) Squeeze the fresh lemon juice.
9) Add water.
10) Grind into smooth chutney.
Remove it to a bowl and serve.
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 3 teaspoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 3-4 Green chilies roughly chopped
- ½ inch Ginger chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ¼ cup Shallots Shallots or use onion, sliced
- 1 cup Curry leaves cleaned and loosely packed
- ½ cup Coconut grated
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- ½ to ¾ cup Water
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add chopped green chilies, ginger, garlic and onion. Mix and cook till onion becomes soft and light brown in color.
- Then add curry leaves. Mix and saute for 2-3 minutes only or till they become slight crisp.
- Let it cool slightly.
- Take that into the grinder jar.
- Add grated coconut, peanuts and salt.
- Squeeze the fresh lemon juice and add water.
- Grind into smooth chutney.
- Remove it to a bowl and serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving (~ 1/4 cup)