Eggless lemon blueberry muffins recipe – Soft, moist muffins with citrus lemony flavors and with juicy blueberries.
In this blueberry season, I bought beautiful organic blueberries from whole foods store 2 days ago and the next day I made these delicious muffins without eggs. Actually these are vegan blueberry muffins as well. I have used cow’s milk but you can use any vegan milk. It will be perfectly fine.
Unfortunately I was out of muffin liners. And suddenly I thought of using parchment paper in place of liners. And it worked like a charm. You can see it does not stick at all and came out wonderful. I was very happy with the results.
Lemon and blueberry flavor goes well together. I have added freshly grated nutmeg in it. It gives nice subtle flavor to the muffins. I have added only lemon zest to the muffins. No lemon juice added. Still it has enough lemony flavor from the zest only.
I have used applesauce as an egg substitute just like I did for my eggless brownies. I have used store bought applesauce. But you can use homemade too. Let’s quickly go through how to make applesauce at home: peel, core and cut 2 small apples. Cook them with 3 tablespoons of water on low heat till cooked (about 20 minutes). Mash it with potato masher until it gets smooth.
I have halved the recipe and made only 6 muffins. But below ingredients are for dozen regular sized muffins.
Take a look at inside of muffin. See how soft, spongy and moist they are. And those juicy blueberries. Who can resist this?
How to make Eggless lemon blueberry muffins recipe:
1) Pre-heat the oven to 425 degree F or 220 degree C for at least 10 minutes.
2) Line the muffin pan with muffin liners or just spray it with nonstick oil spray or use parchment paper like I did here. Check this link to learn how to use the parchment paper as a muffin liner.
3) Take all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, grated nutmeg and lemon zest in a bowl.
4) Mix them well. I have used wire whisk to mix them.
5) Now take 1 tablespoon of flour mixture and sprinkle on blueberries. Now using spoon gently coat all the blueberries with flour. Keep it aside. This will help to avoid berries to sinking into the bottom. Hence blueberries will spread evenly into muffin.
6) In another larger bowl take oil, applesauce and vanilla extract.
7) Beat it using wire whisk.
8) Then add milk and beat it again till everything is incorporated well.
9) Add wet ingredients to dry flour mixture.
10) Mix it till everything incorporated. Do not over mix the batter otherwise muffins will be tough.
11) Add blueberries.
12) Fold it with spatula very gently. So berries do not break, if it breaks then juice will come out and batter will be blue in color.
13) Fill the muffin cups with this prepared batter. Use ice cream scoop or just two spoons to fill the muffin cups.
14) Bake into pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out clean then muffins are ready.Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
15) After 5 minutes. Remove the muffins to the wire rack and let it cool completely.
16) Or you can enjoy it while it is warm.
Let’s have a bite of this yummy eggless lemon blueberry muffins. Ahha, you will have a punch of citrusy, lemony flavor with sweetness of sugar and juicy blueberries in each every bite. Just loving it. Actually I am eating it as I am writing this. You must give this a try.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy as a breakfast or dessert:
- 2 cups All purpose flour (Maida)
- ¾ cup White granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest from 2 big lemons
- ¼ cup Oil Use any flavorless oil like canola, vegetable, corn, safflower
- ¼ cup Unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups Milk You can use vegan milk like almond, rice, soy milk
- 1 cup Blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F or 220 degree C for at least 10 minutes.
- Line the muffin pan with muffin liners or just spray it with nonstick oil spray
- Take all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, grated nutmeg and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Mix them well.
- Now take 1 tablespoon of flour mixture and sprinkle on blueberries.
- Now using spoon gently coat all the blueberries with flour. Keep it aside.
- In another larger bowl take oil, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Beat it using wire whisk.
- Then add milk and beat it again till everything is incorporated well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry flour mixture.
- Mix it till everything incorporated.
- Add blueberries. Fold it with spatula very gently.
- Fill the muffin cups with this prepared batter.
- Bake into pre-heated oven for 18-20 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out clean then muffins are ready.
- Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- After 5 minutes. Remove the muffins to the wire rack and let it cool completely.