Eggless tutti frutti cookies recipe – very colorful, delicious and beautiful looking cookies for holiday season. A keeper cookie recipe for your Christmas baking.
- 1 cup All purpose flour (Maida)
- 2 tablespoons Corn flour (corn starch)
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt skip if using salted butter
- ½ cup White granulated sugar
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter cubed into small pieces and chilled in refrigerator
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest from ½ of lemon
- 2/3 cup Tutti Frutti
- 1 ½ tablespoons Milk
- Mix all purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Add cubed and chilled butter. Incorporate flour and butter using your finger tips or fork or pastry blender. The mixture should be crumbly.
- Mix in vanilla extract, lemon zest and tutti frutti.
- Add milk and using the hand bring the flour mixture together, it should be like a dough.
- Now on the work surface, place a plastic wrap. Put the dough in the center.
- Shape it into 1 ½ inch diameter log. Wrap it using plastic and tie the both ends by twisting the plastic.
- Keep in the freezer for 20 minutes to chill. By this time time log will be firm.
- Meanwhile line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the log is chilled and firm then remove it from the freezer.
- Cut into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Arrange them few inches apart on the prepared sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 14-15 minutes (for soft cookies) or 17-18 minutes (for crispy cookies).
- Let cookies cool in the sheet for 5 minutes
- then remove it to a cooling rack to cool down completely.
What is tutti frutti? It is Indian candied fruit made from raw papaya. The different color is because of the addition of food color. In India, it is used in many different recipes like cookies, cakes, ice creams etc.
Tutti frutti is really sweet, so to cut down the sweetness or balance the flavors, I have added lemon zest which provides nice tang to the cookies. Also gives the freshness in the mouth after having a bite.
To make these eggless tutti frutti cookies, I have used my pistachio cookie recipe. The texture of these cookies is flaky and crispy.
During Christmas or Holiday season, baking is must in my kitchen. why? because I love baking and he loves baked goods especially cookies. Yes he loves any kind of cookies. I need to stop him otherwise he can have all of them by himself.
Last weekend I baked two types of cookies one is chocolate chip cookies and second is this one. And Tuesday I baked gingersnaps first time, it was just fantastic (beyond the expectation),
will share it soon.
These tutti frutti cookies are so colorful that kids will sure get attracted. As a child I have been attracted to these cookies and still I am. The flavor and taste of them is just wow.
How to make eggless tutti frutti cookies recipe:
1) Take all purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
2) Stir well, so everything is well combined.
3) Add chilled butter. Make sure that butter is really cold which makes crispy and flaky texture.
4) Using your fingertips or fork or two knives or pastry blender, mix butter and flour. It should be crumbly texture. some butter is incorporated very well while there are few small pieces of butter. It is perfectly fine.
5) Add vanilla extract, lemon zest and tutti frutti.
6) Mix well.
7) Now add 1 ½ tablespoons of milk.
8) Using your hand, bring it together and it becomes like a dough.
9) On your work surface, Place a plastic wrap. and put the dough in the center.
10) Shape the dough into a log shape. Log should be 1 ½ inch in diameter.
11) Wrap the log tightly using plastic and seal the two ends by twisting the plastic. Chill the log into freezer for 20 minutes. If you have more time then you can chill in refrigerator for 1 hour. but I was in rush, so did the quick chilling in freezer.
12) Meanwhile prepare the cookie sheet by placing a parchment paper on it or spray the sheet with nonstick cooking spray or lightly grease it with butter.
13) Also preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C for at least 10 minutes.
14) Now the log should be firm and chilled. Then remove the log, and cut it into ¼ inch thick slices using sharp knife.
15) Arrange the slices in prepared tray few inches apart as they will spread a little while baking.
16) Bake in preheated oven for 14-15 minutes (for soft cookies) or 17-18 minutes (for crispy cookies). Let it cool into the sheet for 5 minutes, Then remove it to cooling rack to cool completely.
Beautiful looking cookies are ready to serve.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy them anytime of the day as such or have with cup of tea or coffee.
- Once it is happened to me. I sliced the cookies and forgot to preheat the oven. If this is the same case for you. Arrange the sliced cookies on the tray and keep the tray in fridge so the dough stays chilled while oven is heating.
- Why are we chilling the dough? because of the chilled dough, the round shape of cookie will stay round while baking. If it is soft then it spreads too much unevenly.
- I like more tutti frutti in my cookies, I want many in one bite. So I have added a lot. If you like less or few here and there then reduce the amount.
- You can also add dried fruits like chopped dates, figs, raisins etc or candied fruit mix or glazed cherries instead of tutti frutti. You can add nuts like walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews. Mix and match however you like. Use your imaginations. This cookies dough is very versatile.