Gajar ka halwa recipe with condensed milk or mithaimate – a quick version of making carrot halwa. It will be ready in only 15 minutes only.
Q – Is there any difference in taste and texture (traditional vs this quick method)?
A – In traditional halwa, milk is evaporated slowly which makes tiny granules of milk solids. So you get those granular texture while eating it. Vs gajar halwa made with condensed milk has creamy and smooth texture.
This is also known as Gajrela which is the most popular North Indian dessert. People usually make it during the winters. They make in big batches and store in the fridge, so family can have it up to a week.
My mom also makes this during the winters. But here in USA, whenever I feel like having carrot halwa, I make it. Because I get good juicy carrot all year around.
The traditional method of making gajar halwa takes upto 2 hours or more (if made in large quantity). It is made by boiling milk and carrots. But this time I made the instant or quick version using the sweetened condensed milk.
How to make gajar ka halwa with condensed milk:
1) Heat the ghee in a pan. Once hot add grated carrots and stir.
2) Cook for 7-8 minutes. it will starts to soften. It will reduce in quantity.
3) Now add milk.
4) Let it simmer. Do stir in between.
5) Cook till all the milk is dried out. It took me 2-3 minutes.
6) Then add condensed milk.
7) Mix and let it cook. Don’t forget to stir once in a while.
8) Cook till it dries out and becomes the halwa consistency. Turn off the stove.
9) Add cashews and raisins. Also add cardamom powder.
10) Mix well.
Carrot halwa is ready to serve. It can be served warm or chilled. I usually bring it to a room temperature and then chill in the fridge. I and hubby likes to have it chilled.
Serving suggestion: Serve gajar ka halwa as a dessert after your meal or enjoy anytime of the day.
- To make more quantity of gajar ka halwa, you can double, triple the ingredients. The procedure will be the same.
- For grating the carrots, you can use the food processor as well. I am making small batch here, so I have used box grater.
- To make best carrot halwa always use sweet and juicy carrots. In India, it is available during the winters. But here in USA, I get them all year around.
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified butter)
- 2 cups Carrot grated
- ½ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon Cashew nuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon Raisins
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
Heat the ghee in a pan. Once hot add grated carrots and stir.
Cook for 7-8 minutes. it will starts to soften. It will reduce in quantity.
Now add milk. Let it simmer. Do stir in between.
Cook till all the milk is dried out. It took me 2-3 minutes.
Then add condensed milk. Mix and let it cook. Don’t forget to stir once in a while.
Cook till it dries out and becomes the halwa consistency.
Turn off the stove.
Add cashews and raisins.
Also add cardamom powder. Mix well.