Gawar ki sabzi or cluster beans recipe – side dish that goes perfect with roti or phulka. It is made with cluster beans, gram flour and regular spices.
Gawar also known as guvar or gawar ki phalli. It has very slight bitter taste unlike other beans. These cluster beans take little longer time to cook. So pressure cooking or steaming the beans is preferable method. I prefer to steam the beans.
This gawar sabzi appears regularly in my kitchen. This is my mom’s recipe. Most sabzis call for mustard seeds and/or cumin seeds for tempering. But ajwain seeds aka carom seeds are used in tempering. The flavors of ajwain goes very well with cluster beans. Ajwain has strong flavor, so little goes a long way. ¼ teaspoon of ajwain is enough for 2 servings sabzi.
Gawar ki phalli is very low in calorie and full of nutrition. So you should include that in your diet. This sabzi is healthy yet delicious. Try it once, I am sure you will like it.
How to make gawar ki sabzi (Step by step recipe with photos):
1) Wash cluster beans well and let the excess water drain.
2) Remove the head and tail part. Then cut into approx 1 inch size pieces.
3) Now prepare the steamer. Take a glass full of water in a saucepan or steamer. Let the water come to a simmer on medium heat. Now add gawar in steamer pan, put into pan, cover with lid.
4) Steam it on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. or till beans get tender and soft. Do not overcook it. keep it aside.
5) While beans are steaming, make besan mixture. Take besan, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder in a small bowl.
6) Mix well and keep it aside.
7) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add ajwain. let them sizzle for a bit.
8) add chopped green chili and garlic. Saute for a minute. or till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
9) Now add besan and spice mixture.
10) Stir immediately and cook for 1-2 minute. Do stir continuously otherwise flour and spices may get burn.
11) Now add steamed gawar and salt.
12) Mix well so everything is coated well. saute for 2 minutes.
13) Lastly add amchur powder and garam masala.
14) Stir well. switch off the stove heat. Sabzi is ready to serve.
- Here I have mixed besan and spices ahead of time. This is for beginners or who measures the spices with spoons. If you are confident and quick enough. Then add besan and spices one by one in oil. If adding one by one and you are not quick to do that. Then flour or spices may get burn. So make your choice – mixing ahead of time or add and mix later in oil.
- Ajwain or carom seeds has strong flavor. So be careful while adding. Do not add teaspoon or so like cumin seeds. ¼ teaspoon is more than enough.
- Instead of gawar beans you can use french beans.
- Instead of steaming the bean, you can pressure cook them with little water. I never liked pressure cooked beans. because slight water is left after pressure cooking. And I prefer the dry sabzi not gravy or semi dry.
- Never overcook the cluster beans. Otherwise they will be flat and flavorless. So keep an eye on it while cooking.
Gawar ki sabzi recipe (Cluster beans curry recipe)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For besan-spice mixturer:
- 1 tablespoon Besan (gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
For gawar sabzi recipe:
- 1 ½ to 2 cups Gawar or cluster beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1 Green chili chopped finely
- 1 clove Garlic or 1 teaspoon chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
Preparing and Steaming the cluster beans:
- Wash cluster beans well and let the excess water drain.
- Remove the head and tail part. Then cut into approx 1 inch size pieces.
- Now prepare the steamer. Take a glassfull of water in a saucepan or steamer. Let the water come to a simmer on medium heat.
- Now add gawar in steamer pan, put into pan, cover with lid.
- Steam it on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Do not overcook it. keep it aside.
Making besan-spice mixture:
- While beans are steaming, take besan and spices in a small bowl.
- Mix well and keep it aside.
Making gawar ki sabzi recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add ajwain. let them sizzle for a bit.
- add chopped green chili and garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Now add besan and spice mixture. Stir immediately and cook for 1-2 minute. Do stir continuously otherwise flour and spices may get burn.
- Now add steamed gawar and salt. Mix well so everything is coated well. saute for 2 minutes.
- Lastly add amchur powder and garam masala. Stir well.
- switch off the stove heat.