Raw mango chutney recipe (green mango chutney) – a yummy chutney recipe with bursting of mixed flavors like sweet, spicy, tangy. The other word is ‘Chatpata’.
Raw mango chutney recipe (Green mango chutney recipe)
- 1 medium or about 200 grams Raw mango (Unripe mango)
- ½ cup Onion roughly chopped
- 2 small Green chilies
- 1 tablespoon Anardana powder (dried pomegranate seeds powder)
- ¼ teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- Salt to taste
Roasting the mango:
- Roast the mango directly on low-medium flame.
- Roast it with turning it occasionally till it gets black from all sides.
- (Instead of roasting, you can boil it in pressure cooker. Peel the mango and pressure cook it with some water for 2-3 whistles. Pressure cooking time may vary as per size of mango.)
- Let the mango cool completely.
- Then peel the skin off. Skin will come out very easily.
- Roughly chop it. Most of the part will be very soft and pulpy.
Making raw mango chutney:
- add this cooked mango to the blender along with rest of the ingredients .
- Grind it into a smooth puree. (Do not add any water)
- Remove it to a serving bowl and enjoy.
The mango is roasted on direct flame. This provides little smoky, charred flavor to the chutney. It is little messy to roast on flame. Instead you can boil the mango in pressure cooker. I have mentioned both methods in the instruction below.
Whenever I make any kind of thepla other than methi thepla, I have to make some kind of chutney to go with it. With methi thepla, we prefer plain yogurt. But for other verity like dudhi thepla, mooli thepla; we prefer chutney or chunda on side.
So last time when I made lauki thepla, I have made this chatpati raw mango chutney to go with it. This is my mother-in-law’s recipe. She makes many different kinds of chutneys because my father-in-law is a huge chutney lover. he needs it on side in each and every meal.
Green chilies provide spicy taste of course. I have used 2 small green chilies which gives medium spicy taste. So Adjust the quantity accordingly.
Anardana powder provides slight sweetness to the chutney which balances the tangy and spicy flavor from mango and chili respectively.
How to make raw mango chutney recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Roast the mango directly on low-medium flame.
2) The skin will start to get black in color. Roast it turning it occasionally till it gets black from all sides. (Instead of roasting, you can boil it in pressure cooker. Peel the mango and pressure cook it with some water for 2-3 whistles. Pressure cooking time may vary as per size of mango.)
3) Let the mango cool completely.
4) Then peel the skin off. Skin will come out very easily.
5) Roughly chop it. Most of the part will be very soft and pulpy.
6) Now add this to the blender along with rest of the ingredients (onion, green chilies, anardana powder, black salt and salt).
7) Grind it into a smooth puree. (Do not add any water)
8) Remove it to a serving bowl and enjoy.
During the summer season, when raw mangoes are widely available, I make big batch of this green mango chutney. Freeze in ice cube tray for small portions. Once frozen, I remove the ice cubes and store in ziplock bag. So I can have it whenever I want, even if it is not mango season.