This subzi mainly made from green peas, onions and tomatoes. So when you don’t have other vegetables in your refrigerator and you have frozen peas. Then you can make this delicious subzi. This subzi is sour in taste because we are adding tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and dried mango powder. But still it taste great with roti or paratha. Green peas subzi is semi-dry subzi.
Here’s the handy dandy printable:
- Green peas – 1 cup, fresh or frozen
- Tomatoes – 2
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Onions- 1 ½ cups, sliced
- Ginger paste – ½ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ teaspoons
- Cumin powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garam masala – ¾ teaspoon
- Dried mango powder (Aamchur powder) – ½ teaspoon
- Tomatoes – ½ cup, chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Take green peas in microwave safe bowl. Add a tablespoon of water, pinch of salt. Cook them in microwave for 2 minutes (depends on your microwave) if using frozen green peas. Cook them in microwave for 5 minutes (depends on your microwave) if using fresh green peas.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan bring the water to a boil. Make a cross at bottom of tomato. Add it to the boiling water and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes and peel the skin off. Grind them into a smooth puree.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Then add sliced onions and ginger paste and cook it for 3-4 minutes or till onions become light brown.
- Add tomato puree, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, dried mango powder. Mix well. Cook it for 8 minutes or till all the moisture evaporates from tomatoes. Stir in between to make sure it doesn’t stick to bottom.
- Add green peas, salt cook it for 2 minutes.
- If it looks to dry then sprinkle some water.
- Then add chopped tomatoes cook it for a minute.
- Serve hot.