Gujarati khichdi recipe – very healthy, light on stomach and made with very few ingredients. It is also known as ‘sadi khichdi’ in Gujarati language meaning plain khichdi.
- ½ cup Short grain rice
- ½ cup Chilkewali moong dal
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- a pinch or ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 3 cups Water
- Take dal and rice in a pressure cooker.
- Wash them well under running cold water or rinse them 3-4 times till water becomes clear.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and hing.
- Add water and stir. Cover the cooker with lid and put the weight on.
- Turn the heat on medium and let it cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
- Rice and dal grains should be really soft. as you open it looks dry.
- But once you stir it, khichdi will get slightly mashed and the consistency is loose.
Any kind of khichdi should have slightly mushy texture with little loose consistency. It has soft and melt in your mouth kind texture. This texture is perfect for babies.
Two main ingredients for making this easy khichdi are – Moong dal with skin (chilka moong dal) and short grain rice. I prefer to use short grain rice for making khichdi. Just because it cooks faster and helps to get mushy consistency. Here I have used ‘gujarat sattar’ rice. You can use any short grain rice.
For making this gujarati khichdi, we are not adding any spices except turmeric powder and hing. There are no spices added which gives heat. Hence this is very mild khichdi.
I always make simple onion-potato curry on side to go with this. I make that curry slightly spicy which goes perfect with mild taste of khichdi. While khichdi is pressure cooking I make this curry on another stove. So both will get ready in same time. I do roast urad dal papad and make chaas to serve on side. This makes healthy dinner. We love it at home, so I make this at least once a week.
The onion-potato curry aka dungri batata nu shaak is very simple to make. I don’t want to make separate post for that and don’t want to invest time for step by step photos. So here I have added bonus recipe below of this curry for you guys.
How to make Gujarati khichdi recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take dal and rice in a pressure cooker.
2) Wash them well under running cold water or rinse them 3-4 times till water becomes clear.
3) Add salt, turmeric powder and hing.
4) Add water and stir.
5) Cover the cooker with lid and put the weight on. Turn the heat on medium and let it cook for 3-4 whistles. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid. Rice and dal grains should be really soft. as you open it looks dry.
6) But once you stir it, khichdi will get slightly mashed and the consistency is loose.
Drizzle some ghee on top. Serve the khichdi warm. As it gets cool, you won’t get the right khichdi consistency. it becomes too thick.
Serving suggestion: Serve the Gujarati khichdi and potato-onion curry (recipe below) as a meal. Serve mango pickle or pickled green chili or roasted urad dal papad on side. Also have a glass of chaas on side. This makes healthy and filling meal.
Onion-potato curry (Dungri batata nu shaak)
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Hing (Asafetida) – a pinch
Potato – 1 small or ½ cup cubed
Onion – 1 small or ½ cup chopped
Salt – to taste
Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander-cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Water – 2 cups
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and them pop. Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
- Then add turmeric powder and hing.
- Immediately add cubed potatoes and chopped onions. Also add salt, red chili powder and cumin-coriander powder. Mix well.
- Add water. Cover the pan and cook till potatoes are soft. Do stir in between. Add more water if needed. This curry should have more watery gravy.
- Once potatoes are cooked, slightly mash them using back of spatula. This makes the gravy slightly thick. Lastly garnish with coriander leaves and serve with khichdi.