रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Kadai mushroom recipe – button mushrooms are cooked in tomato based semi dry gravy. Very delicious Indian mushroom recipe.
Coriander seeds and dry red chilies are dry roasted. Then ground into the powder. This freshly ground masala makes it more flavorful and delicious. of course you won’t get the same result if made using ready made or store bought masala.
This kadai mushroom masala goes well with roti or paratha.
This whole dish is made in Indian wok aka kadai or kadhai. So it is called kadai mushrooms. Kadai is the most common utensil. It is used almost everyday in Indian household kitchen. People usually make their everyday subzi (dry vegetable dish) in the kadai. Even I do use kadai on regular basis. But for the photo purpose I have used ceramic nonstick green pan here.
The procedure and ingredients is very similar to my kadai paneer curry or Veg kadai. There is only one difference. That is addition of pureed tomato in it. Kadai paneer has gravy. hence pureed tomato is added to make thick gravy. While this kadai mushroom is semi dry. Thus pureed tomato is not added.
How to make kadai mushroom (Step by step recipe with photos):
1) Dry roast the coriander seeds and dried chilies on medium heat. Keep stirring constantly. As it toasted you will get nice aroma of coriander seeds. also chillies will get darker in color. Remove it to a plate or bowl and let it cool completely. NOTE: I have broke the chilies and removed the seeds to reduce the spice level. Seeds and stems of the chilies are not good for your health.
2) Once cooled, grind into a powder using spice grinder or coffee grinder.
3) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add chopped onions. Sprinkle some salt to speed up the cooking process.
4) Cook till onions becomes soft and translucent. No need to brown the onions
5) Mix in the garlic paste.
6) saute for a minute or till the raw smell or garlic goes away.
7) Add freshly ground masala.
8) Mix and cook for one minute.
9) add chopped tomatoes and remaining salt.
10) Mix and let it cook.
11) It will start to leave its water and will get soften. Keep mashing the soften tomatoes with back of the spatula.
12) As it cooks, all the moisture will evaporates. it starts to leave the sides of the pan.
13) Add capsicum and mushrooms.
14) Mix and let it cook
15) As mushroom cooks, it leaves its water.
16) Continue cooking, water will evaporate. mushrooms will get soft and tender.
17) Add garam masala, kasoori methi and stir.
18 ) Mix in chopped cilantro leaves.
19) Finally add cream, I have added frozen cream
20) Mix well, turn off the stove.
Kadai mushroom is ready to serve.
- Here I have not added extra red chili powder. the dried chilies were spicy enough for me. So taste the curry and adjust the spice level.
- Always use ripe tomato. Unripe and sour tomatoes makes tangy gravy.
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
- 4 Dried red chilies broken and seeds, stem removed
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 1 ½ cups Tomato finely chopped
- 8 oz or 200-250 grams or 2 cups Mushrooms rinse, wipe and chopped
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) cubed, green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tablespoons Heavy whipping cream
- few Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Dry roast the coriander seeds and dried chilies on medium heat. Keep stirring constantly.
- Remove it to a plate or bowl and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled, grind into a powder using spice grinder or coffee grinder.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add chopped onions. Sprinkle some salt and cook till onions becomes soft and translucent.
- Mix in the garlic paste. saute for a minute.
- Add freshly ground masala. Mix and cook for one minute.
- add chopped tomatoes and remaining salt. Mix and let it cook.
- Once it starts to soften, keep mashing the tomatoes with back of the spatula. As it cooks, all the moisture will evaporates. it starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add capsicum and mushrooms. Mix and let it cook
- As mushroom cooks, it leaves its water. Continue cooking, water will evaporate. mushrooms will get soft and tender.
- Add garam masala and kasoori methi and stir.
- Mix in chopped cilantro leaves.
- Finally add cream. Mix well,
- turn off the stove