It is very simple and quick to make. Black chickpeas or kala chana or desi chana are taking little longer time to cook. But after it boils, we need only 6-7 minutes to cook this curry. You can have this kala chana curry with roti or paratha or even with any rice.
Here’s the handy dandy printable:
Kala chana kadhi
- ½ cup Dry Kala chana (black chickpeas or desi chana)
- ½ cup Plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoons Besan (gram flour)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- 3 teaspoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- a pinch Hing (Asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Water
- Wash kala chana under running water. Soak in enough water for 8 hours or overnight.
- To boil chana, discard soaked water and transfer soaked chana in pressure cooker, add 1 ½ cups of water. Close pressure cooker put the weight on. Cook it on high for 2 whistles then lower the heat to medium - low and cook it for another 30 minutes. Turn off the heat. Let the pressure go by itself.
- Take yogurt, besan, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and green chilies in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add water from boiled chana. Mix well. Make sure there are not any lumps.
- Heat the ghee in pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let the cumin seeds sizzle.
- Then add yogurt mixture. Mix well.
- Add boiled chana and water. Mix well.
- Let it come to boil. Then cook it for 5 minutes. Stir in between.
- Serve hot.
- For quick soaking chana method : wash chana under running cold water. Then add eough water to it. Put on high heat and let the water come to boil then let it boil for 5 minutes and turn off the stove. Let the chana sit covered for 1 hour. Then boil. - Green chilies and red chili powder quantity are to taste.