Lasaniya batata recipe is from the Gujarat. It is nothing but the baby potatoes are simmered in spicy, hot garlic sauce.
If you like and tolerate hot food then this recipe is for you. The gravy is made from lots of garlic with peanuts and sesame seeds. For the spicy taste red chili powder is added. You can adjust the chili powder as per your liking spiciness.
There is a scientific reason behind combining garlic and peanuts in this gravy. Because of the garlic, gravy will become hot (not spicy). While addition of peanuts will cut down the hot flavor and will soothe your palate. Thus after eating this curry, your breath will not smell bad even though you ate lots of garlic. All the credit goes to presence of peanuts in it.
I like hot and spicy flavors together. But if you don’t want spicy then reduce the chili powder.
Lasaniya batata is more famous in Kathiyawad (Saurashtra), a region of western India. Sometimes they have it as a snack with fried rice papad or fryums. While some prefers to have it with roti or paratha as a meal.
Here I have used baby potatoes because traditionally this is what used. But sometimes I do use regular potatoes (cut into big chunks after boiling). It will be so delicious either way.
How to make lasaniya Batata recipe (Step by step photos):
1) First boil the baby potatoes. Take them in pressure cooker, add enough water (potatoes should be submerged in water) and let it cook for 1-2 whistles. or till potatoes are cooked and knife tender soft.
2) Let the pressure goes down by itself. Remove the potatoes. Once they are cool to touch, remove the skin.
3) While potatoes are boiling, make the paste. Take ginger, garlic, peanuts, sesame seeds and red chili powder in a blender.
4) Make smooth paste out of it and keep it aside.
5) Now heat ½ tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add boiled and peeled potatoes.
6) Saute till they get light brown color from all the sides. Keep moving them for even browning. Remove it to a plate.
7) Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil the same pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit. Then add dried red chili and bay leaf, cook for 30 seconds.
8) Mix in prepared paste.
9) Add salt, turmeric powder and cumin-coriander powder. Mix well.
10) Cook till all the moisture goes away and oil starts to ooze out from the sides. By this time raw smell of ginger garlic also goes away.
11) Then add sauteed potatoes and water.
12) Mix well and let it come to a boil.
13) Once starts boiling, cover the pan and let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Do stir in between and if gravy starts to thicken too much then add splash of water and continue cooking covered.
14) By cooking it covered, potatoes will absorb some flavors.
15) Finally add chopped cilantro.
16) Mix well and switch off the stove.
- 6 large cloves Garlic
- ½ inch Ginger
- 3 tablespoons Peanuts
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 10-12 or 250 grams Baby potatoes
- ½ + 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Dried red chilies
- 1 Bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder I have used mix of cumin-coriander powder called dhana-jiru in gujarati
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tabelspoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- Boil baby potatoes in pressure cooker for 1-2 whistles. There should be enough water in cooker means potatoes should submerged in water.
- Once pressure goes down by itself, then open the cover and remove the potatoes, peel them.
- Saute the potatoes in ½ tablespoon of oil till they browned evenly.
- Keep moving them for even browning, remove it to a plate.
- Take all the paste ingredients in a grinder jar
- Add little water and make smooth paste out of it.
- Keep it aside.
- In pan heat remaining oil on medium heat.
- Once hot add cumin seeds. let them sizzle
- Then add dried chili and bay leaf, cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add prepared paste with all spice powders and salt. Mix well.
- Cook till raw taste and smell of ginger garlic goes away and also oil starts to ooze out from sides.
- Then mix in potatoes and water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Once gravy comes to a boil, cover the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes. Do stir in between and if needed add more water.
- Lastly add coriander leaves and switch off the stove.