Lauki sabzi recipe – home style dry vegetable made from bottle gourd. This is made with very minimal spices still it tastes delicious.
In our early married life, hubby does not prefer bottle gourd in any form at all. But in my childhood I have eaten it very regularly and so I craved for it. So I used make the dishes for myself only. But after trying lauki chana dal for first time, he enjoyed that much that he got comfortable eating this vegetable.
Along with all these recipes, lauki sabzi is also regular at my home. Lauki or dudhi has many health benefits and you should include that in your diet.
Addition of curry leaves gives the BEST TASTE in this sabzi, so do not skip it.
For the spicy flavor only green chilies are used. No other spice powder are added.
How to make lauki sabzi recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
2) Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
3) Then add green chilies and curry leaves. Saute for 30 seconds.
4) Then add turmeric powder and hing.
5) Stir once.
6) Immediately add chopped lauki.
7) Add salt and mix well
8) Cover it and cook till lauki gets soft.
9) Do stir once or twice in between.
10) Now add garam masala
11) Also add chopped coriander leaves.
12) Mix well and turn off the stove.
sabzi is ready to serve.
Here I have made it the exact same way my mom makes it and I prefer it this way. But if you want, you can add red chili powder and coriander powder along with salt.
Serving suggestion: Serve this sabzi with roti/phulka.
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- a pinch or ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 500 grams or 4 cups Lauki (bottle gourd or dudhi) peeled and chopped, Bottle gourd or dudhi
- Salt - to taste
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Then add green chilies and curry leaves. Saute for 30 seconds.
Then add turmeric powder and hing. Stir once.
Immediately add chopped lauki. Add salt and mix well
Cover it and cook till lauki gets soft. Do stir once or twice in between.
Once lauki is cooked, add garam masala
Also add chopped coriander leaves.
Mix well and turn off the stove.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving