In this hot summer, you need something to beat the heat. Chaas is perfect beverage in hot weather. Masala Chaas is made from Yogurt, cilantro and some other spices. All the masalas are up to taste; you can change the quantity as per liking. This is how we like it and I am sharing with you.
In Gujarat, if marriage functions are in summer then, Masala Chaas is always there in the menu. Even in my family, we make Chaas everyday and drink it after the lunch/dinner. Each member of my family drinks at least 2 glasses of Chaas after or during the meal. But Sometimes I make vaghareli Chaas (Buttermilk with Tempering/Tadka) or sometimes just with plain salt and roasted cumin powder.
Chaas will help to cool your body heat. So this is the best drink for summer like in India. Here in USA summer has started but it is not at its peak. Whenever you come home from outside’s boiling heat, and then drink this Masala Chaas. It will give you very refreshing feeling.
You can make Chaas ahead of time and keep in refrigerator. Just before serving, stir and pour in the glass. It tastes best when served chilled.
Note – If making for Fast, use rock salt – sendha namak. If you are Jain then skip ginger juice.
- Chilled Yogurt – 1 cup
- Green chili – 1, chopped very finely
- Ginger juice – 1 teaspoon **Notes
- Cilantro – few springs, chopped very finely
- Curry leaves- chopped very finely
- Black salt – ¾ teaspoon
- Chaat masala – ¾ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Water - 2 cups
- Ginger Juice – take ½ inch piece of ginger. Grate them and squeeze the juice out of grated ginger.
- Take yogurt in a bowl. Add chopped green chili, cilantro, curry leaves, ginger juice, black salt, chaat masala and salt.
- Whisk it well. You can use wire whisk. I have used hand blender because I want chilies, cilantro and curry leaves almost ground. So I don’t bite them while drinking.
- Now add water and whisk it again to mix.
- Pour into the glass and serve. If yogurt is not chilled then chill the chaas in refrigerator then serve.
Shelf life – it can be refrigerated up to 5-6 days. But whenever you serve, stir the chaas with spoon/spatula and then pour into the glass, serve.
Serving suggestions – Perfect cold beverage in hot summer. You can drink it any time of the day. My family usually drinks chaas every day after dinner whether it is summer or winter. Always serve chaas chilled.
I have kept the glass in freezer for 15 minutes. Take some chaat masala in the plate. After 15 minutes, took out the glass from freezer, dip the glass rim into chaat masala to get decorative look. And then pour the chaas in glass and garnish with cilantro leave.
A glass of chilled Masala Chaas… Ahhhaaa, so Refreshing