Masala Chaas recipe or buttermilk recipe – flavored Indian buttermilk. It is made with plain yogurt, green chili, cilantro and spices.
In this hot summer, you need something to beat the heat. Chaas is perfect beverage in hot weather. All the ingredients are up to taste; you can change the quantity as per liking. This is how we like it and I am sharing with step by step photos.
In Gujarat, if wedding or ring ceremony functions are in summer then, Masala Chaas is always there in the menu.
In my family, we make Chaas every single day, no matter its summer or winter. We drink it after the lunch/dinner. Each member of my family drinks at least 2 glasses of Chaas after or during the meal.
Chaas will help to cool your body heat. So this is the best drink for hot Indian summer. Here in USA summer has started but it is not at its peak. Whenever you come home from outside’s boiling heat, and then drink this Masala Chaas. It will give you very refreshing and cooling feelings. Apart from cooling effect, it also helps in easy digestion.
How to make masala chaas recipe (Step by step photos):
or Jump to Recipe
1) Take yogurt in a bowl. add all the ingredients except water and ice. meaning add green chili, cilantro, curry leaves, black salt, chaat masala and salt.
2) Blend it very well using hand blender. So chilies and curry leaves are almost ground. So you don’t bite big pieces while drinking. Alternately you can use grinder or blender.
3) Now add chilled water, blend again. So everything is incorporated well.
4) Keep in refrigerator till serving. Pour into the glass and serve. For fancy serving, keep the glasses in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. In a small plate, take few spoons of chaat masala. dip the chilled glass into chaat masala, to get the decorated rim. Pour the chaas into glass and serve.
Always serve chaas chilled. It tastes best when served chilled.You can make Chaas ahead of time and keep in refrigerator. Just before serving, stir and pour in the glass.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy any time of the day during hot summer. We usually serve along with our meal
NOTE: If making during fast or Hindu vrat, please use rock salt aka sendha namak. Also skip the chaat masala and curry leaves.
- 1 cup Plain yogurt (dahi or curd)
- 1 small Green chili chopped, If do not like spicy taste skip or remove the seeds of less spicy taste
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped
- 2 Curry leaves chopped
- ¾ teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- Salt to taste
- ¾ teaspoon Chaat masala
- 2 cups Chilled water
- few Ice cubes for serving, optional
- Take yogurt in a bowl. add all the ingredients except water and ice.
- Blend it very well using hand blender. So chilies and curry leaves are almost ground.
- Now add chilled water, blend again. So everything is incorporated well.
- Keep in refrigerator till serving.
- Pour into the glass and serve.