Matar ki sabzi recipe – Quick, healthy side dish that can be made on regular basis. This green peas sabzi goes perfect with roti, paratha.
But many times, I am out of vegetables. So that time I make this matar ki sabzi. Because I always have the bag of frozen peas in freezer.
Other than peas, tomatoes are used here. This makes slight gravy or I would say it makes semi-dry sabzi.
At the end yogurt is added which adds slight tang. This flavor blends well with the sweetness of peas.
There is no onion no garlic added in the recipe. If making this dish Jain, please skip ginger.
How to make matar ki sabzi (Step by Step Recipe with Photos):
1) Heath the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
2) Then add cumin seeds, let them sizzle.
3) Now add ginger paste and green chilies.
4) Mix and saute for 30-40 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
5) Now add tomatoes and mix.
6) Cook till tomatoes are soft and almost mushy.
7) Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
8) Mix and cook for a minute.
9) Now add green peas. Here I am using frozen peas.
10) Add water.
11) Mix well, cover with the lid.
12) Cook till peas are soft and tender. Do stir once or twice in between. If gravy dries out, add little more water and continue cooking.
13) Lower the heat and then add yogurt.
14) Immediately stir otherwise yogurt may get curdled. Let it come to a simmer.
15) Lastly add chopped coriander leaves.
16) Mix and turn off the stove.
Matar ki sabzi recipe (Green peas sabzi recipe)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 small Green chili crushed or chopped
- ½ cup Tomato finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups Green peas
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Plain yogurt (dahi or curd) whisked
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- Heath the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add cumin seeds, let them sizzle.
- Now add ginger paste and green chilies. Mix and saute for 30-40 seconds
- Now add tomatoes and mix. Cook till tomatoes are soft and almost mushy.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook for a minute.
- Now add green peas and water.
- Mix well, cover with the lid. Cook till peas are soft and tender. Do stir once or twice in between.
- If gravy dries out, add little more water and continue cooking.
- Lower the heat and then add yogurt. Immediately stir till well combined.
- Lastly add chopped coriander leaves and mix
- and turn off the stove.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving