Methi dal is one of the healthy recipes. When you have fresh fenugreek leaves or methi leaves in you fridge, you should make this delicious dal recipe. When they are in season, I always have them in my fridge and I already shared different recipes with methi leaves. And today I am going to share one more.
Fenugreek leaves are slightly bitter in taste but it is very powerful herb. When it combines with other ingredients it won’t taste that bitter but it takes the dish to whole new level. When you make this dal, you will get nice aroma from methi leaves.
In this Methi dal recipe, I have added onion, tomatoes which give nice taste to the dal. And don’t forget to add little lemon juice at the end. It is very healthy dal that you can have it on everyday basis. This is my favorite dal. I usually make this dal and plain rice for our meal. If you like the taste of fenugreek leaves then I am sure you will love this.
- Toovar dal (split Pigeon peas) – ¼ cup **Notes
- Moong dal (split green gram skinless) – 2 tablespoons
- Masoor dal (split red lentils) – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 1 cup + ¾ cup
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger paste– 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste – ½ teaspoon
- Green chilies – 3, chopped finely
- Onion – ½ cup, chopped
- Fenugreek leaves (fresh Methi leaves) – 1 cup, washed and chopped
- Tomatoes – ½ cup, chopped
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Dal – I have used combination of three different dals. But you can make with only toovar dal or mix of toovar dal & moong dal or mix of toovar & masoor dal. Use as per your liking or what you have in pantry.
- Take all three dals (toovar dal, moong dal, masoor dal) in colander. Wahs under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Transfer them into pressure cooker. Add 1 cup of water.
- And let it whistle three times. (1 on medium-high heat & 2 on low heat) After that let the pressure go down by itself and then open the lid.
- While dal is cooking prepare all the tadka ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle a bit.
- Then add ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies. Let them cook for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and mix it.
- Let them cook till onion turns light brown.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and methi leaves.
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes or till tomatoes become soft but not mushy.
- Then add cooked dal, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Mix it well.
- Add ¾ cup of water and mix it properly.
- Let the dal boil for 4-5 minutes. Add lemon juice, mix and it’s ready to serve.
Shelf life – once it cool down completely, you can store it in air tight container in refrigerator for 3 days. Or even you can freeze it if you have leftover.
Serving suggestions – I like to serve it with plain rice or jeera rice. Or even you can have it with paratha too.
I have served this yummy methi dal with plain rice and roasted papaddam on side. This was our lunch on last Sunday. Make this dal and let me know your feedback in the comment below. Enjoy!!