The combination of methi and potatoes give nice flavor to the paratha. This is not stuffed paratha. While making the dough, potatoes and fenugreek leaves are added. These fenugreek leaves give nice color to paratha. This is perfect with tea as a snack in morning. You can serve this with pickles, raita or plain yogurt.
Here’s the handy dandy printable:
- Potatoes – 2 medium, boiled and mashed
- Fresh fenugreek leaves (methi) – 4 cups, first measure leaves then wash and chop
- Chapatti atta – 1 ¼ cups + more for dusting while rolling paratha
- Clarified butter (ghee) – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Green chilies – 4, chopped finely
- Ginger paste – 2 teaspoons
- Red chili powder – 2 teaspoons
- Dry mango powder (Aamchur powder) – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 3 tablespoons or more or less (depends on size of potatoes and moisture in potatoes)
- Heat the clarified butter or ghee in a pan.
- Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle. Then add chopped green chilies and ginger paste. Let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add washed and chopped fenugreek leaves, red chili powder. Mix well. Cook it till all the moisture goes away. It will take about 2 minutes.
- Keep aside to cool.
- After it cool take them in a large bowl. Add mashed potatoes, chapatti atta, salt, Aamchur powder. Mix well.
- Add little water about a tablespoon at a time as needed. Knead them into soft dough. Apply some oil on it and cover it and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, knead it again to make it smooth. Divide it into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion between your palm and press into a circle.
- Dip the flattened ball into dry chapati flour and coat well. Roll it gently in to circle about 6 inch in diameter. (If you need to than you can use dry flour while rolling but don’t use more than 2 times otherwise end product will be dry.)
- Heat the skillet on medium heat.
- Once hot placed rolled paratha on the skillet. When you see bubbles on it flip it.
- After few seconds apply some oil on it and flip it again and press gently using spatula and cook until you see some brown spot on bottom side.
- Apply some oil again on other side and flip and cook on that side. When done take it out from skillet and put in insulated container to keep it hot.
- Repeat same procedure for rest paratha.