Today’s recipe is methi rice or fenugreek leaves rice recipe. This rice dish is very healthy and perfect for your kids/husband/yourself lunch box. I usually make this for dear husband’s lunch box and I also pack some plain yogurt in separate container for him. And yes I also keep some for my lunch also.
Fresh methi was available in nearby Indian grocery store. So I have used fresh methi while making this rice. But when fresh is not available I have made it using frozen fenugreek leaves also. Just reduce the leaves quantity if using frozen.
If you want to then you can remove the bitterness of the methi leaves. Take chopped methi leaves in a bowl. Sprinkle some salt on it and leave it aside for 10-15 minutes. After than squeeze out the water from methi leaves and use in the recipe. I have skipped this step because my family likes the taste of methi as such. We like very slightly bitter taste with other flavors in this methi rice.
Please adjust the red chili powder and green chilies, if making for your kids.
- Cooked Rice – 3 cups **Notes_
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon stick – ½ inch piece
- Green cardamom – 2
- Ginger paste – ½ teaspoon
- Garlic paste – ½ teaspoon
- Green chilies – 2, chopped finely
- Onion – ½ cup, chopped
- Tomato – ½ cup, chopped
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Fenugreek leaves (Methi leaves) – 3 cups, washed and chopped
- Cooked Rice – ⅔ cup of raw rice will give you 3 cups of cooked rice. I have used basmati rice but you can use any variety. I have already shared how to cook perfect rice, each rice grain is separated.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Then add whole spices (bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom). Let it cook for about 30 seconds and you will get nice aroma from it.
- Then add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped green chilies. Let them cook for 30-40 seconds.
- Then add chopped onions. Mix it.
- Let onion cook till it gets light brown.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, salt and spice powders (cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder).
- Mix it well and let it cook for 2-3 minutes or till tomatoes get soften, not mushy.
- Then add chopped methi leaves and mix it well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cooked rice.
- Mix it very gently so rice grains do not break. Let the rice get heated through.
- Serve hot.