Mixed vegetable soup recipe – this is healthy, home-style mixed veg soup recipe. Perfect soup recipe for wintery, cold days.
Mixed vegetable soup recipe (Home style mix veg soup)
- 1 medium or ½ cup Carrot roughly chopped
- 1 medium or ½ cup Tomato cut into big chunks
- ½ cup Bottle gourd (lauki) roughly chopped
- ½ cup Cabbage roughly chopped
- ½ cup Onion roughly chopped
- 2 inch Celery chopped
- 10 sprigs Cilantro or coriander
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cups Water or vegetable stock
- Black pepper powder to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons Lemon juice or to taste
Making mixed vegetable soup recipe:
- Wash and chop the veggies. Take them into pressure cooker. Add salt and water.
- Cover with the lid, put the weight on and turn the heat on medium.
- Let it whistle for 2-3 times. Then turn off the stove
- Let the pressure go down by itself and open the lid.
- Instead of pressure cooker you can cook in a pot on stove top as well. Cook till vegetables are soft and tender, you may need more water or vegetable stock for cooking.
- Now using immersion blender, start making the puree.
- You can use blender as well. Blend it till it gets smooth and pureed.
- Add black pepper powder.
- Put it back on the medium heat and bring it to a boil. You can adjust the consistency as per your liking by adding more water or stock.
- Once it comes to a boil, turn off the stove.
- Lastly squeeze fresh lemon juice. Mix well.
This home-style mixed vegetable soup is really healthy and full of nutrition. Only vegetables are used for making this soup. No butter, no oil, no cream, just vegetables. Chopped veggies are pressure cooked or boiled with water or stock. Then pureed into smooth. For the seasoning only salt and pepper is added. At the end, squeeze the fresh lemon juice, stir and you are done.
This is my mom’s soup recipe. I have been grew up having this soup every morning during the whole winter. I have kept her tradition alive. and I also make this every winter here in USA. But instead of mornings, we have a small bowl of it before dinner.
My mom always adds beetroot to this soup. If beetroot is used, the soup will have red color unlike this shown in the pic.
For the mixed vegetables, This time I have used onion, tomato, carrot, cabbage, bottle gourd, celery and coriander leaves. But it is not fixed to these. I add whatever veggies I have in the fridge. Below in the tip, I have mentioned few more vegetables that you can use.
How to make mixed vegetable soup (Step by Step Recipe with Photos):
1) Wash and chop the veggies.
2) Take them into pressure cooker. Add salt and water.
3) Cover with the lid, put the weight on and turn the heat on medium. Let it whistle for 2-3 times. Then turn off the stove and let the pressure go down by itself and open the lid. Instead of pressure cooker you can cook in a pot on stove top as well. Cook till vegetables are soft and tender, you may need more water or vegetable stock for cooking. It will take little more time but it can be done.
4) Now using immersion blender, start making the puree.
5) You can use blender as well. Blend it till it gets smooth and pureed.
6) Add black pepper powder.
7) Put it back on the medium heat and bring it to a boil. The consistency of the soup was perfect for me. You can adjust it by adding more water or stock.
8) Once it comes to a boil, turn off the stove. Lastly squeeze fresh lemon juice. Mix well.
Remove the soup to serving bowl and enjoy the hot soup during the winter season.
Serving suggestion: enjoy a bowl of hot soup with a piece of bread or baguette as a light meal. I like to have this soup as such during the cold, chilly days.
- You can use any vegetables you want or you have in the fridge like cauliflower, pumpkin, zucchini, squash, beetroot, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach leaves, kale leaves.
- Instead of coriander leaves, you can use your choice of herb like parsley or any other.
- The main vegetables are onion, tomato and herb which works as a flavor and base of the soup. You cannot skip those. Rest are adjustable.
- At the lemon juice is must, it will perk up the flavors and will not taste bland at all.