रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Veg Momos Recipe with step by step photos – This is the popular street food in India which is originally a Tibetan recipe.
There are many varieties of momos you will find at the stalls. The verities meaning, it has different kind of stuffing like meat (chicken, lamb), vegetables, paneer, tofu etc. Today I am sharing the Veg momos recipe.
Speaking of vegetables, I have used carrot, onion, cabbage and capsicum. You can add mushrooms, green beans, cooked potato, baby corn, bean sprouts etc. I have chopped them finely using knife. To get it done quickly, use food processor.
The veg stuffing is mild in taste. So it is best to serve with any spicy dipping sauce on side.
It is very easy to make at home except the shaping part. Shaping them is not hard, but it is little time consuming and shaping them perfectly requires some practice. I have shared few different shapes method in step by step photos like round pleated (potli shape), half moon shape. I find the half moon shape is quicker to make. I have also mentioned how to make simple flower bud style wonton shape which is the easiest and get ready in jiffy.
Here I have made the outer layer at home by making the dough. If you want to take shortcut, you can use wonton wrappers or spring roll wrappers (cut into four).
Here I have steam cooked the veg momos which is the traditional cooking method. With steaming method, the stuffing stays moist. But you will find like fried, tandoori versions at stalls or restaurants.
How to make Veg Momos Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Jump to Recipe
1) To make the stuffing, heat the oil in a pan on medium heat-high heat. Once hot add ginger and garlic.
2) Saute for 30 seconds. Make sure not to burn them.
3) Now add chopped veggies (onion, cabbage, carrot, capsicum).
4) Mix and continue cooking with stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes.
5) Veggies will start to soften.
6) Now add salt and pepper.
7) Again mix and cook for 2 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the vegetables, we do not want them mushy.
8) Now add spring onion greens and mix.
9) Also add soy sauce
10) Stir well to combine and turn off the stove. Let the mixture cool down.
11) Meantime knead the dough for outer covering. Mix all purpose flour and salt in a bowl.
12) Add little water at a time and knead into smooth yet firm dough. Cover it and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
13) Now divide the dough into 20 equal portions and make smooth balls. Take one ball and roll into 4 inch diameter circle. Keep the edges thinner compared to center.
14) Put about a tablespoon of stuffing in the center.
15) To shape the momos, Now lift the one side of edge and start pleating and joining them together as shown in the photo.
16) Then join all of them in the center and seal it. There you have a Potli shaped momo ready.
17) For another shape (half moon pleated shape aka potstickers), Roll one ball to 4 inch diameter circle, put stuffing in the center. For the this shape, we will keep half edge of the circle as such and rest half circle is pleated and joined to first half.
18) As you can see, keep pleating as near as possible and keep joining on other side of the circle.
19) Here it is ready.
20) Similarly shape all of them. If you do not want to spend time in shaping, you can just make half moon shape like gujiya and then combine both edges together. It looks something similar to wontons (aka flower bud or nurse cap shape).
21) Now to steam cook them, add glassful of water in a steamer pan and bring it to a simmer on medium heat. Grease the steamer tray with oil and arrange the shaped momos on it.
22) Steam them for 6-8 minutes. How to check: once cooked, it becomes transparent, shiny and by touch it won’t feel sticky. DO NOT OVERCOOK them otherwise it becomes chewy.
Serve them hot or warm.
Momos Recipe (Veg Momos Recipe), How to make momos step by step
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For veg momos stuffing:
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 teaspoons Garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger finely chopped
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- ½ cup Cabbage finely chopped
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) finely chopped
- ½ cup Carrot finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- ¼ cup Spring onion (green onion or scallion) , green part only finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons Soy sauce
For outer cover:
- 1 cup All purpose flour (Maida)
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon Water
- Heat the oil on medium-high heat and fry ginger, garlic for few seconds.
- Then stir fry chopped vegetables with stirring continuously for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add salt and pepper, stir fry again for 2 minutes.
- Then mix in spring onion greens and soy sauce and turn off the stove.
- Let the stuffing cool down.
Shaping and steam cooking Veg momos:
- To make outer covering dough, mix all purpose flour and salt in a bowl, knead into a smooth yet stiff dough by adding little water at a time.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Then divide the dough into 20 equal portions and make smooth balls.
- Work with one ball at a time and roll into 4 inch diameter circle.
- Put a tablespoon of stuffing in the center and shape the momos as shown in step by step photos above.
- One shaped all of them. Prepare the steamer by adding a glassful of water in a steamer pan and bring it to a simmer on medium heat.
- Grease the steamer tray with oil and arrange shaped momos on it.
- Steam cook them for 6-8 minutes or till the outer layer looks shiny, transparent and by touch it doesn’t feel sticky.
- Remove from the steamer and serve hot or warm.