There are many different kinds of thepla recipes. But today’s recipe is Mooli thepla. It is traditionally Gujarati recipe. Theplas can be eaten as a breakfast with cup of tea or Mango Chunda or Pickles. Mooli is kind of vegetable that some people don’t like to eat. But when you make mooli thepla, it has not that intese mooli flavor. I also added leaves from mooli which is optional. So let’s get started.
Here’s the handy dandy printable:
Mooli thepla recipe
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1/3 cup Mooli (Radish) grated
- 2 tablespoons Mooli leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour (Chapati atta)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Oil + more for cooking theplas
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Plain yogurt or more or less
- Take shredded mooli and chopped moolie leaves in a bowl.
- Add atta, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and oil. Mix well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt at a time. Make smooth and soft dough. (Yogurt amount is depends on your yogurt consistency. Is your yogurt thick or watery? It also depends on your mooli. Is your mooli has more water content or less.)
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes. Knead the dough again and divide it into 8 equal portions and make smooth balls. Roll each portion between your palm and press into a circle.
- Dip the flattened ball into dry chapati flour and coat well.
- Roll it gently in to circle about 6 inch in diameter. (If you need to than you can use dry flour while rolling but don’t use more than 2 times otherwise end product will be dry.)
- Heat the skillet on medium heat. Once hot placed rolled thepla on the skillet. When you see bubbles on it flip it.
- After few seconds apply some oil on it and flip it again and press gently using spatula and cook until you see some brown spot on bottom side. Apply some oil again on other side and flip and cook on that side. When done take it out from skillet and put in insulated container to keep it hot.
- Repeat same procedure for rest Theplas.
- Yogurt amount is depends on your yogurt consistency. Is your yogurt thick or watery? It also depends on your mooli. Is your mooli has more water content or less.
- Moolie leaves are optional in this thepla recipe.