Poha upma recipe or Aval upma recipe with step by step photos – a South Indian breakfast dish made with poha aka beaten rice or flattened rice. Just like any other poha recipes, this is also QUICK and EASY to make. So the healthy, yummy breakfast will be ready in 15-20 minutes only.
Poha is called ‘Aval’ in Tamil and Malayalam language. So the name of this dish is Aval Upma recipe. While it is called ‘Atukula’ in Telugu. Hence this poha upma is also known as Atukula upma.
The taste and flavor of this poha upma is similar to the traditional rava upma. The procedure and Ingredients used are almost same. Except poha is used in place of sooji. Because of this substitution, the texture is very different.
The addition of freshly grated coconut adds nice taste and texture to the dish.
Here I have used only onions, but you can add vegetables like potato, peas, carrot, beans. If adding, you can steam them or cook them in microwave before and then add here.
For some crunch I have added peanuts. You can skip it or alternately use cashews.
How to make poha upma or aval upma recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take poha in a colander.
2) Wash then under running cold water. Here I am using red rice poha and this does not require as soaking, so I have kept them moist in colander till I make tempering and cook onions. If your poha requires soaking then do so. It depends on the type and quality of poha. Check by pressing the poha between your thumb and finger, it should break easily. If it looks dry and hard then you may need to soak it.
3) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add urad dal.
4) Saute with stirring constantly till dal gets light brown in color.
5) Now add mustard seeds and let them pop.
6) Then add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
7) Now add dried red chili and saute for 30 seconds.
8) Add green chilies, ginger paste and curry leaves.
9) Saute for 40-60 seconds or till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
10) Now add chopped onion and peanuts. Sprinkle salt over it and mix.
11) Cook till onion becomes soft and light brown in color.
12) Now add poha, fresh coconut and remaining salt.
13) Mix gently till everything is well combined. Cover it and let it cook for 2 minutes.
14) Now add lemon juice and mix. Turn off the stove.
15) Lastly add coriander leaves.
16) Mix well and this aval upma is ready to serve.
Serving suggestion: Serve poha upma as a breakfast or snack with cup of tea or coffee or enjoy as such. This can be packed into kids/adult’s snack box or lunch box.
Poha Upma Recipe (How to make Aval Upma Recipe)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 1 ½ cups Thick Poha (beaten rice) ,I am using red rice poha
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Dried red chilies ,stem removed
- 2 Green chili finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- ¾ cup Onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Coconut ,fresh or frozen grated
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
- Wash the poha and if required soak them. Depending on the type and quality of poha, soaking time may differ. So know your poha and adjust accordingly. Some poha does not need soaking like mine. In that case just wash and keep them moist in colander till needed.
- Now heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add urad dal and saute till they get light brown in color.
- Then add mustard seeds. Once they pop, add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add dried red chili, green chilies, ginger paste and curry leaves. Saute for a minute or so.
- Now add onion, peanuts and salt. Mix well and cook till onions get soft and light brown.
- Now add soaked, drained poha, grated coconut and remaining salt.
- Mix gently very well and cook for 2 minutes covered.
- Lastly add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well and turn off the stove.