रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Homemade Schezwan sauce recipe or Schezwan chutney- hot and spicy sauce recipe from the Indo-Chinese cuisine. It is made from dried red chilies and garlic.
There are many ways to spell it, Schezwan or Sichuan or Schezuan. But forget it, it doesn’t matter when it tastes so good.
This sauce is really spicy. When I say spicy, I really mean it. Dried red chilies makes it hot and spicy. I have controlled the spice level so we can tolerate it and won’t suffer the next day. You know what I mean when I say ‘next day’ 🙂 .
So here are the tips to control the spice level in this schezwan sauce recipe:
- Seeds of the chili are too spicy, so remove all the seeds. If needed break the chilies into two and it will be easy to remove seeds. Also remove the stems which are not good for health.
- There are many variety of dried chilies available in market. So choose which are less spicy like Kashmiri chilies which gives bright red color and will make it less spicy. To make it medium-high spicy, combine both (kashmiri and hot variety) chilies. But never ever dare to use all hot variety. Trust me you will be in trouble.
This time I have used less oil while making it. Because I used it the same day in noodles recipe. But If you want to store it for 1 or 2 weeks then Use more oil, cook the sauce till oil starts to float on top. Once the it is cooled completely, you pour in the jar or container, oil should cover the surface (just like Indian pickles), it will increase the shelf life.
Below is the old pic which I took with point and shoot camera. I kept it here for your reference that how it will look if you use more oil. You can see the oil is floating on sides and top.
How to make schezwan sauce recipe (Step by step photos):
1) Take ½ cup water in a saucepan along with red chilies and garlic.
2) Turn the heat on medium and let it come to a simmer.
3) And let it cook for 7-8 minutes. Let it cool down a bit.
4) Meanwhile in a small bowl dissolve cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and keep it aside.
5) Now make the smooth paste of red chilies and garlic using grinder or blender. If needed use little water.
6) Then add remaining ½ cup of water and thin it out.
7) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. I use the sauce the day I made so I used 2 tablespoons of oil. If planning to store for more than a week then use 4-5 tablespoons of oil. Once hot add chopped ginger, garlic, celery and green onion.
8) Saute for a minute.
9) Add prepared chili-garlic mixture and salt.
10) Let it come to a simmer.
11) Add prepared cornstarch mixture and stir.
12) Add ketchup.
13) Also add vinegar and mix well.
14) Cook till it gets thick about 2 minutes. If used more oil the oil will starts to float on top. Turn off the stove.
Storing the sauce: Let the schezwan chutney cool completely. Then store in refrigerator for 1-2 weeks in airtight container or jar. If storing for longer period of time then start with more amount of oil. See notes below.
Serving suggestion: You can serve schezwan sauce as dipping sauce for potato wedges, fries, cabbage pakora, spring rolls, chinese samosa or momos. This is also used in making many indo-chinese dishes like schezwan noodles, schezwan fried rice, schezwan potatoes.
You can use the store bought one in the recipes. But homemade is always fresh and better. After all choice is yours.
Schezwan Sauce Recipe (How to make Schezwan Chutney Recipe)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
To boil and grind into paste:
- ½ + ½ cup Water
- 10 Dried red chilies stem and seeds removed
- 5-6 cloves Garlic
- Salt to taste
For schezwan chutney recipe:
- 1 ½ teaspoons Corn flour (corn starch) dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 to 5 tablespoons Sesame oil
- 1 clove Garlic finely chopped
- ½ inch Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Spring onion (green onion or scallion) finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
- 1 ½ teaspoons White distilled vinegar
- Take ½ cup water in a saucepan along with red chilies and garlic. Turn the heat on medium and let it come to a simmer.
- And let it cook for 7-8 minutes. Let it cool down a bit.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl dissolve cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and keep it aside.
- Now make the smooth paste of red chilies and garlic using grinder or blender. If needed use little water.
- Then add remaining ½ cup of water and thin it out. Keep it aside.
Making Schezwan Sauce Recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add chopped ginger, garlic, celery and green onion. Saute for a minute.
- Add prepared chili-garlic paste and salt. Let it come to a simmer.
- Add prepared cornstarch mixture and stir.
- Add ketchup and vinegar. mix well.
- Cook till it gets thick about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and sauce it ready.