Shikanji recipe – a simple, spiced Indian lemonade from North India. It is known as shikajvi too.
Shikanji recipe (Shikanjvi)
- 3-4 tablespoons Lemon juice ~from 2 small-medium lemons
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ inch Ginger grated and squeezed into juice
- ¼ teaspoon Black salt (Kala namak)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
- a pinch Black pepper powder optional
- 2 ½ cups Chilled water
- 5-6 Ice cubes
Making ginger juice:
- First take piece of ginger, peel it.
- Now grate it and squeeze the grated ginger using thumb and fingers.
- You will have ginger juice ready. Keep it aside.
Making shikanji recipe:
- Now cut the lemon into half, squeeze out all the juice using lemon squeezer.
- Add sugar, ginger juice, black salt, regular salt and roasted cumin powder
- Add chilled water. Stir till all the sugar is dissolved. I
- f your sugar has big granules then it will take few minutes.
- Add few ice cubes to make it chill.
- Pour into serving glasses and serve chilled.
I have already shared nimbu pani recipe. Today’s recipe is nice variation to simple nimbu pani. The only difference between these two is addition of few spices. Nimbu pani is simple lemonade made from only lemon juice, sugar, salt and water.
While here, spices like roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder and ginger juice is added. It adds some flavor and fragrance to the drink.
There is shikanji masala available in the market. You can keep that handy to make this beverage quickly. If using that ready masala, you can skip the addition of spices here.
How to make shikanji recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) First take piece of ginger, peel it.
2) Now grate it and squeeze the grated ginger using thumb and fingers. You will have ginger juice ready. Keep it aside.
3) Now cut the lemon into half, squeeze out all the juice using lemon squeezer. Or you can use fork and your hand (I have shown this method in nimbu pani recipe).
4) Add sugar. Note: I have used maple sugar. You can use white sugar or honey.
5) Add ginger juice.
6) Also add black salt
7) And regular salt as per your taste.
8) Now add roasted cumin powder
9) Add chilled water. Stir till all the sugar is dissolved. If your sugar has big granules then it will take few minutes. To make it dissolve quickly, use the powdered sugar.
10) Add few ice cubes to make it chill.
Pour into serving glasses and serve chilled.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy this shikanji any time of the day during hot summer days. Make the big batch in the morning, keep in the refrigerator. Drink it whenever you feel like throughout the day.
For the variation, You can use sparkling water or plain club soda instead of water.