रेसिपी को हिन्दी में पढ़े
Stuffed Bhindi or Bharwa Bhindi Recipe – Gujarati style of making Stuffed okra. One of my family favorite bhindi recipe.
Stuffed bhindi recipe (Bharwan bhindi recipe)
- 40 pieces Okra (Bhindi) medium size
- 4 tablespoons Oil
For stuffing –
- 6 tablespoons Desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts Ground into powder
- 1 tablespoons Sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 3 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
Preparation and stauffing the okra:
- Wash the okra or bhindi well.
- Wipe them dry with kitchen towel or paper towel very well. Or let them dry till we make stuffing.
- Take all the stuffing ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well and keep it aside.
- Now cut off both the ends (head and tail part). Make a slit in the center, but careful do not break the bhindi to two pieces.
- Stuff all the okra with this mixture.
- You will have leftover stuffing; we will use that later.
Making bharwa bhindi recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot arrange stuffed okra in single and sprinkle some salt (be careful we added salt in stuffing).
- Cover it and cook it for 10-12 minutes or until okra is cooked perfectly.
- Stir or flip the okra in between for even cooking.
- Add remaining leftover stuffing and mix well.
- Cook it for 2 minutes uncovered.
- Then turn off the stove
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving
In Gujarati language, it is also known as Bhindi Sambhariya. In this recipe, stuffing is made from dry desiccated coconut, ground peanuts, sesame seeds along with some spices.
It is little sweet, sour and medium spicy in terms of taste, just like any Gujarati food. It also has some nutty flavors from coconut, peanut and sesame.
Making stuffed bhindi/bharwa bhindi requires some time and efforts. But all is worth when you get positive comments from your lovely family members.
My mom always makes this bharwa bhindi whenever we have guests coming over for the lunch. As you know that it is little time consuming, so your guests will feel very special that you took some time, put some efforts and made the dish for them. It makes good impression for your special guests. She also makes kadhi, dry moong dal, rice, kachumber salad and roti. Dad buys khaman from the farsan shop. This was her fixed guests menu for lunch.
Whenever I make any bhindi recipe, dear husband always gets very excited. He loves okra so much that I have to make many different okra recipes. I do have Maharashtrian style stuffed bhindi recipe on the blog.
How to make Bharwa Bhindi Recipe (Step by Step recipe with Photos):
1) First clean the bhindi very well: Wash the okra or bhindi well. Wipe them dry with kitchen towel or paper towel very well. And let them dry till we make stuffing. This is important step to avoid becoming okra sticky while they are cooking.
2) Take desiccated coconut, ground peanuts, sesame seeds, chopped cilantro, green chilies, and ginger paste in a bowl. Mix well.
3) Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, garam masala, sugar, lemon juice, and salt (enough for masala only).
4) Mix well and keep it aside.
5) Now cut off both the ends (head and tail part). Make a stile in the center, but careful do not break the bhindi to two pieces. Now using your one hand hold the bhindi and insert the thumb inside the slit, so it makes a gap in bhindi to fill the stuffing. See below. And using your other hand fill that gap with stuffing mixture.
6) Stuff all the okra this way. You will have leftover stuffing; we will use that later in this recipe
7) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. I recommend using wide non stick pan, because non-stick require less oil and we can arrange them in one layer if it wide. If not using the nonstick then you might need more oil.
8) Once hot arrange stuffed okra and sprinkle some salt (be careful we already added salt in stuffing).
9) Cover it and cook it for 10-12 minutes or until okra is cooked perfectly.
10) Stir or flip the okra in between for even cooking. Make sure that okra doesn’t stick to bottom.
11) Add remaining leftover stuffing and mix well.
12) Cook it for 2 minutes uncovered or till added stuffing get heated through.
Make this stuffed okra or bharwa bhindi recipe in your kitchen and let me know how you like it in comments below.
- Make sure to buy all the okra of same size. Because we are cooking the okra whole, so they cook evenly in the same time.
- When you buy okra keep in mind that they should be long, fresh looking and dark green in color. Don’t buy those who have blemishes, cut or leaked internal juice. Try to buy those who have less seeds in it.
- Please do not skip the sugar here. It will not taste sweet like dessert because we are adding 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to balance out the flavors.