Sweet potato halwa recipe or Shakarkandi ka halwa –made with boiled, mashed sweet potato, milk and sugar, flavored with cardamom and nutmeg powder.
Sweet potato halwa recipe (Shakarkandi halwa)
- 1 large or 1 cup Sweet potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ cup Milk
- 2-3 tablespoons Sugar depends on the sweetness of sweet potato
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- a pinch Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1-2 tablespoons Almonds or cashews, chopped
Making sweet potato halwa recipe:
- Boil the sweet potato in the pressure cooker with enough water till it gets soft or for 5-6 whistles.
- Once it is cool to touch, peel and mash it.
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot mix in mashed sweet potato and cook with stirring till all the moisture evaporates.
- Then add milk and again cook till all the moisture goes away.
- Then mix in sugar, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder and cook with stirring continuously till it leaves the sides of the pan and ghee will ooze out.
- Lastly add chopped nuts and it is ready to serve.
The procedure is same as other halwa recipes, cook sweet potato in clarified butter, then cook with milk and then with sugar. Isn’t it simple? Only effort you need is to stir continuously while making it.
This halwa is made from white sweet potato that we usually use in India. Here in USA we also get orange sweet potato as well. You can use any. But keep in mind that orange one is less sweeter than white one. So make sure to use little extra sugar when you make halwa with orange sweet potato.
Enjoy this healthy halwa as this required very very less sugar.
This halwa is easy to make and you can make it whenever you crave for sweet but you want to eat healthy dessert. This halwa can be made on any occasion or during fasting days or vrat.
I usually have steamed sweet potato on Maha shivaratri fasting. But after starting a blog, I tend to make many dishes for fasting using sweet potato like sabzi, tikki, ladoo, kheer, this halwa, vada, fries or chaat.
How to make sweet potato halwa recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take sweet potato into the pressure cooker and add enough water so it is submerged into the water. Cover it, put the weight on and turn the heat on medium. Let it cook till sweet potato is cooked and soft or for 5-6 whistles. This time and number of whistles depends on the type and size of the sweet potato.
2) Once potato is cool to touch, peel it and mash it using potato masher.
3) Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat.
4) Once hot add mashed sweet potato.
5) Mix well and cook with stirring occasionally.
6) It should leave the sides of the pan.
7) Then add milk.
8) Mix well and it starts to bubble up.
9) Keep stirring continuously and keep cooking.
10) Cook till all the moisture evaporates and it leaves the sides of the pan again.
11) Then add sugar, cardamom powder and nutmeg.
12) Mix well, as sugar melts halwa will loosen up.
13) Keep stirring and cooking till again all the moisture evaporates and it starts to leave the sides of the pan. Turn off the stove heat.
14) Add nuts and mix.
Serving suggestion: enjoy this halwa warm or chilled as a dessert.