Tawa pulao is popular Mumbai street food. All the pav bhaji stalls serves this delicious rice called tawa pulao. They make this in big batches earlier and give you appropriate portion with a dollop of butter on top as you order. It has flavor of pav bhaji in it.
It is not only available in Mumbai streets, but now all over the India there are many pav bhaji stalls and they serve this yummy pulao. Basically it is prepared on same tawa/tava on which pav bhaji is made. So it is known as tawa pulao.
It can be made from left over rice at home. But dear husband likes this pulao so much; I do specially cook rice to make this pulao. Lots of veggies are added to this pulao, and pav bhaji masala and lemon juice take this pulao to the whole new level. It is so flavorful.
To serve it same as stall or restaurant style. Remove the pulao on serving bowl, add dollop of butter on top and lemon wedges on side.
I have used butter in the recipe to make it same as pav bhaji vendors does. But for health reason you can use oil instead. You will not miss that much flavor. Only thing is that with butter it will be little rich.
Step by step recipe for Tawa pulao:
1) Take green peas and carrot in a microwave safe bowl, sprinkle little salt and add few tablespoons of water. Cover it and microwave it for 3-4 minutes (time varies depending on your microwave). I have used frozen peas but if you using fresh peas then you need to cook few more minutes. Alternately you can boil them or pressure cook them.
2) Heat the oil and butter in a pan. on medium heat.
3) Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
4) Then saute ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies for a minute.
5) Mix in onions, sprinkle some salt to speed up the cooking process.
6) Cook till they are light brown in color.
7) Add green pepper and tomatoes.
8) Mix well and add ¼ cup of water, so tomatoes get cook fast.
9) Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and pav bhaji masala.
10) Mix well.
11) Let it cook till tomatoes are almost mushy and oil starts leave the sides of the pan.
12) Add cooked peas and carrots.
13) Mix and cook for 2 minutes.
14) Add cooked rice.
15) Mix everything very gently without breaking the rice grains. cook for 2 minutes, so rice gets heated through.
16) Finally squeeze some lemon juice, mix and it is ready to serve.
Make this delicious and exactly same tasting as street stalls tawa pulao at home. Enjoy..
Here is the tawa pulao recipe:
- Cooked rice - 3 cups **Notes
- Green peas - ½ cup
- Carrot – ½ cup, chopped
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Butter – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger paste – ½ teaspoon
- Garlic paste – ½ teaspoon
- Green chilies – 3, chopped
- Onions – ½ cup, finely chopped
- Green pepper (Capsicum) – ½ cup, chopped
- Tomatoes – 1 ¼ cups, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 2 teaspoons
- Pav Bhaji masala – 4 teaspoons
- Water – ¼ cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Cooked Rice - ⅔ cups of raw rice will give you 3 cups of cooked rice. and here the method how to can make perfect rice.
- Boil the peas and carrots in microwave or in pressure cooker. Keep it aside till needed.
- Heat the oil and butter in pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Saute ginger paste, garlic paste and green chilies for a minute.
- Then add onions with some salt and cook till they are light brown.
- Then mix in capsicum and tomatoes with ¼ cup of water.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder and pav bhaji masala. Mix well and cook till oil starts to leave the sides and tomatoes are mushy.
- Mix in cooked peas and carrot, cook for 2 minutes.
- Then mix in rice very gently. let the rice heated.
- lastly add lemon juice, mix and serve.
Shelf life – once it cools completely, it can be kept in airtight container in refrigerator up to 4-5 days.
Serving suggestions – serve it with salad or plain yogurt or raita and crispy papad as a meal.