This is QUICK and EASY Tomato Rasam recipe. There are many variations in making tomato rasam. But this one is Instant version and will be ready in 15 minutes only.
As you know that Rasam is integral part of South Indian meal. They make it almost every single day.
As the name says, it is made with tomatoes. The sour, tangy flavor comes from tomatoes only. No tamarind is used here. There is another version called tomato charu (Andhra style) where tamarind extract is used. I will share this version some other time.
I would like to have this tomato rasam alone like a soup. But it also tastes good with hot steamed rice.
Here I have used homemade rasam powder, you can use store bought one too. It is up to your preference.
Now we love rasam at home, so I make it often. I will be sharing more different ones.
How to make tomato rasam recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take pureed tomatoes, chopped tomato, grated ginger, crushed garlic and chopped coriander leaves into a pan.
2) Add 2 cups of water and turn the heat on medium.
3) Let the mixture come to a boil.
4) Now add rasam powder.
5) Also add salt, pepper and turmeric powder. Mix well.
6) Let it simmer for 5-6 minutes. Then turn off the stove.
7) Now to make tempering, heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat.
8) Once hot add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
9) Then add dried red chili, curry leaves and hing. Saute for few seconds.
10) Immediately add the tempering to the rasam. And cover the pan right away to trap the flavors. Let it rest covered for 5 minutes. Then serve.
Tomato Rasam Recipe
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For tomato rasam recipe:
- 2 Tomato Pureed
- 1 Tomato chopped
- ½ teaspoon Ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves chopped finely
- 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 2 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Rasam powder
- Salt to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons Ghee (Clarified butter)
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Dried red chilies
- 7-8 Curry leaves
- A pinch Hing (Asafoetida)
Making tomato rasam recipe:
- Take all the rasam ingredients except tempering ones in the pan. Mix well.
- Let the mixture come to a boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Now heat the ghee in a small tempering pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Now add dried red chili, curry leaves and hing. Saute for few seconds and immediately add to the rasam.
- Cover the pan right away and keep it covered for 5 minutes.
- Then remove it to a serving bowl and serve hot/warm with rice.