Tomato rice is one of South Indian style rice preparations. The main ingredients are tomatoes and rice. Addition of onions and curry leaves gives nice flavor to the dish. And not to forget that freshly ground masala always make a difference.
This rice dish is dear hubby’s favorite for his lunch box. He likes his rice with plain yogurt. So I usually pack yogurt in separate container for him. It would be good for kid’s lunch box too. Please adjust chilies, if making for kids.
I have adapted this recipe from “Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India” cookbook. I am totally in love with this book. As I have tried couple of recipes and I loved all of them. I also tried Tamarind rice from this book and I loved it too. I will share it soon. Recipes are authentic south Indian and explained very well.
Tomato rice is not only delicious and flavorful; but it is also very easy to make. You can make it from leftover rice too. If you are going to make this rice often then I would suggest you to make spice powder in big batch (like 6-7 times) and store it in air tight container. This way you can make it within 15 minutes.
- Dried red chilies – 2
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Split chana dal – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Split urad dal – ½ teaspoon
- Asafetida (hing) – a pinch
- Cooked rice – 2 cups **Notes
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Onion – ½ cup, chopped
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Green chilies – 2, chopped finely
- Tomato – 2 medium (1 cup pureed)
- Salt – to taste
- Cooked Rice - ½ cup raw rice will give you 2 cups cooked rice. Here is the recipe how to cook basmati rice.
- Take spice powder ingredients except hing (red chili, chana dal, urad dal and coriander seeds) in a small pan.
- Turn the heat on low-medium. Dry roast with stirring continuously till dal is brown and you will get nice aroma from coriander seeds. Make sure to dry roast on proper heat; if dal stays raw then it won’t taste good at all.
- Let them cool completely. Grind them into fine powder using spice grinder.
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
- Then add chopped onions, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Cook till onion gets light brown.
- Add pureed tomato and salt. Mix well.
- Cook till all the moisture from tomato evaporates and oil starts to leave from the sides.
- Add spice powder.
- Mix well.
- Add cooked rice.
- Mix gently till incorporated well. And serve. (Sorry no photo; got a call from India and forgot to take a pic.)
Enjoy this yummy Tomato rice.