Tomato Rice Recipe - popular South Indian style rice preparation. In Tamil language it is known as Thakkali Sadam. The main ingredients are tomatoes and rice.
This is very healthy yet delicious rice recipe with tangy flavor of tomatoes. Tomato rice is not only delicious and flavorful; but it is also very easy to make.
This rice dish is dear hubby’s favorite for his lunch box. He likes his rice with plain yogurt. So I usually pack yogurt in separate container for him. It would be good for kid’s lunch box too. Please adjust chilies, if making for kids.
I have adapted this recipe from “Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India” cookbook. I am totally in love with this book. As I have tried couple of recipes and I loved all of them. I also tried Tamarind rice from this book and I loved it too. I will share it soon. Recipes are authentic south Indian and explained very well.
For making tomato rice or tomato bhaat, I have made freshly ground spice powder which gives very fresh and unique flavor to the dish. If you are going to make this rice often then I would suggest you to make spice powder in big batch (like 6-7 times) and store it in airtight container. This way you can make it within 15 minutes.
How to make Tomato Rice (Step by Step Recipe with Photos):
1) Take spice powder ingredients except hing (red chili, chana dal, urad dal and coriander seeds) in a small pan.
2) Turn the heat on low-medium. Dry roast with stirring continuously till dal is brown and you will get nice aroma from coriander seeds. Make sure to dry roast on proper heat; if dal stays raw then it won’t taste good at all.
3) Let them cool completely. Meanwhile chop onions, chilies and make puree of tomatoes. Grind them into fine powder using spice grinder.
4) Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
5) Then add chopped onions, green chilies and curry leaves. Sprinkle some salt to speed up the process.
6) Cook till onion gets light brown.
7) Add pureed tomato and remaining salt. Mix well.
8) Cook till all the moisture from tomato evaporates and oil starts to leave from the sides.
9) Add prepared spice powder.
10) Mix well and cook for a minute.
11) Add cooked rice.
12) Mix gently till incorporated well. And serve. (Sorry no photo; got a call from India and forgot to take a pic.)
Here is the Tomato rice or Thakkali sadam recipe:
- Dried red chilies – 2
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal (split bengal gram) – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Urad dal (split skinless black gram) – ½ teaspoon
- Asafetida (hing) – a pinch
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Onion – ½ cup, chopped
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Green chilies – 2, chopped finely
- Tomato – 2 medium or 1 cup pureed
- Salt – to taste
- Dry roast the spice powder ingredients and low-medium heat with stirring continuously. Once roasted let them cool completely. Meanwhile prepare other ingredients and by that time it is cooled, grind into fine powder.
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add green chilies, curry leaves and onions with little salt. Cook till onions become soft and light brown.
- Then mix in tomato puree, remaining salt and cook till all the moisture evaporates and oil starts to leave.
- Add spice powder and cook for a minute.
- Lastly mix in cooked rice and it is ready to serve.
Shelf life – once cools completely, it can be kept in refrigerator up to 4-5 days in air tight container.
Serving suggestions – serve with plain yogurt or raita with crispy papad on side. Perfect rice dish for kid’s and adult’s lunch box.