Tomato Rice Recipe – This is popular South Indian style rice preparation. In Tamil language it is known as Thakkali Sadam. The main ingredients are tomatoes and rice.
This is very healthy yet delicious rice recipe with tangy flavor of tomatoes. This is not only delicious and flavorful; but it is also very easy to make.
For making this tomato bhaat, I have made freshly ground spice powder. It gives very fresh and unique flavor to the dish. If you are going to make this rice often then I would suggest you to make spice powder in big batch (like 6-7 times) and store it in airtight container. This way you can make it within 15 minutes.
UPDATE: one of the readers have tried this recipe using ready-made Madras curry powder instead of freshly ground masala. She says that rice came out very good. I think this is the clever idea for quick
This rice dish is dear hubby’s favorite for his lunch box. He likes his rice with plain yogurt. So I usually pack yogurt in separate container for him. It would be good for kid’s lunch box too. Please adjust chilies, if making for kids.
I have adapted this recipe from “Dakshin: Vegetarian Cuisine from South India” cookbook.
I am totally in love with this book. As I have tried couple of recipes and I loved all of them. I also tried Tamarind rice from this book and I loved it too.
I will share it soon. Recipes are authentic south Indian and explained very well.
How to make tomato rice recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Take spice powder ingredients except hing (red chili, chana dal, urad dal and coriander seeds) in a small pan.
2) Turn the heat on low-medium. Dry roast with stirring continuously till dal is brown and you will get nice aroma from coriander seeds. Make sure to dry roast on proper heat; if dal stays raw then it won’t taste good at all.
3) Let them cool completely. Meanwhile chop onions, chilies and make puree of tomatoes. Grind them into fine powder using spice grinder.
4) Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
5) Then add chopped onions, green chilies and curry leaves. Sprinkle some salt to speed up the process.
6) Cook till onion gets light brown.
7) Add pureed tomato and remaining salt. Mix well.
8) Cook till all the moisture from tomato evaporates and oil starts to leave from the sides.
9) Add prepared spice powder.
10) Mix well and cook for a minute.
11) Add cooked rice.
12) Mix gently till incorporated well. And serve. (Sorry no photo; got a call from India and forgot to take a pic.)
Enjoy this yummy tomato rice aka thakkali sadam.
Serving suggestion: Serve with yogurt or raita like tadka raita, cucumber raita, onion tomato raita, palak raita. Serve crispy roasted papad on side. This is the perfect rice dish to pack in kid’s or adult’s lunchbox.
Tomato rice recipe (Thakkali Sadam)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For freshly ground spice powder:
- 2 Dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Chana dal (split bengal gram)
- ½ gram Urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
- a pinch Hing (Asafoetida)
For tomato rice recipe:
- 2 cups Cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- 2 medium or 1 cup Tomato pureed
- Salt to taste
First prepare the spice powder:
- Take spice powder ingredients except hing in a small pan.
- Dry roast on medium heat with stirring continuously till dal is brown and you will get nice aroma from coriander seeds.
- Let them cool completely. Grind them into fine powder using spice grinder.
Making tomato rice recipe:
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
- Then add chopped onions, green chilies and curry leaves. Sprinkle some salt to speed up the process.
- Cook till onion gets light brown.
- Add pureed tomato and remaining salt. Cook till all the moisture from tomato evaporates and oil starts to leave from the sides.
- Add prepared spice powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add cooked rice. Mix gently till incorporated well.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving