Vagharela mamra recipe – This is Gujarati style of making spicy puffed rice recipe made with very minimal ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- a pinch or ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 5 cups Murmura (puffed rice or mamra)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar powdered into mortar and pestle
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Then add turmeric powder and hing.
- Immediately add puffed rice and mix roughly.
- Then add salt, red chili powder and powdered sugar. (Here I have just powdered the regular granulated sugar in mortar and pestle).
- Mix very well. Cook with stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then turn off the stove.
- Let it cool down completely
This was my most favorite snack during my childhood. As being adult, I do enjoy this eating once in awhile. Now I prefer more filling snacks instead. But hubby just love this as a late night snack.
This vagharela mamra is very quick and simple to make. The cooking time is only 10 minutes. With in this short time, you will have healthy, light snack ready. Perfect for kids after school snack.
Mamra is Gujarati word of puffed rice. It is also known as murmura or kurmure.
Vagharela mamra is very light snack as well as healthy compared to fried snacks. My mom always makes a huge batch of it and store in a big dabba. This stays good for few weeks.
Here I am sharing the simple recipe which requires very minimal ingredients. I have used only turmeric powder and red chili powder to flavor it up. Addition of sugar here makes the huge difference in flavors. So do not skip it.
Here I have kept it plain and used only puffed rice. If you like you can add roasted peanuts or roasted chana dal (dalia) or sev or fried cashews. I have mentioned in the notes when to add those if you are using.
How to make vagharela mamra recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
2) Then add turmeric powder and hing.
3) Immediately add puffed rice and mix roughly.
4) Then add salt, red chili powder and powdered sugar. (Here I have just powdered the regular granulated sugar in mortar and pestle).
5) Mix very well. Cook with stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes. Then turn off the stove.
6) Let it cool down completely then serve in an individual bowl.
Once it gets cool down, you can store them in airtight container as well. It stays good for weeks in airtight container.
Serving suggestion: Serve a bowl of it as a snack whenever you are hungry. This makes very light snack to munch on.
- Many likes to add peanuts and/or roasted chana dal (dalia). If you are one of those, add them after mustard seeds pop. Roast them till they are lightly brown in color with stirring continuously. Then add turmeric powder, hing and continue with the recipe.
- Some prefers to add sev in this recipe. You can add about 1 ½ to 2 cups of sev at the end. This is called vagharela sev mamra.