Veg Kurma Recipe or Vegetable Korma Recipe – Mixed vegetables are simmered in mild, creamy, flavorful and aromatic kurma curry.
There are many variation in making veg korma based on different region. Different elements are used for making gravy. E.g. Mughlai version has saffron, khoya, nuts to get creamy gravy. Shahi korma which is more of Punjabi style has cream in it. Kashmiri version has nuts, dried fruits and yogurt. South Indian veg kurma has coconut based gravy.
Today I am sharing South Indian hotel style vegetable kurma recipe.
This coconut and yogurt based gravy is mild yet very flavorful and aromatic. If you prefer spicy gravy then you can increase the green chilies or red chili powder amount.
Other popular korma curry recipes are Navratna korma and paneer korma. I will share these two later sometime.
How to make Vegetable Korma Recipe (Step by Step Photos):
Jump to Recipe
1) First cook the vegetables. I have cooked them in microwave, You can steam them or pressure cook or saute in the pan them as per your convenience. How I have done: take all the veggies except capsicum in microwave safe bowl with pinch of salt and few tablespoons of water.
2) Cover and cook for 5 minutes on high power or till veggies are 70% cooked.
3) Then add capsicum and again cover and cook till veggies are 100% cooked and soft (not mushy).
5) To make paste, take all the paste ingredients (coconut, cashews, poppy seeds, green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, green chili) in a chutney grinder jar along with ⅓ cup of water.
6) Grind it till you get smooth paste. Keep it aside.
7) Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add chopped onions.
8) Cook till onions become soft and translucent or light pink in color.
9) Then add tomato puree.
10) Cook till all the moisture evaporates and becomes thick paste.
11) Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder.
12) Mix well and cook for a minute.
13) Then add prepared paste.
14) Mix and cook for a minute.
15) Now add water to get gravy consistency.
16) Let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
17) Now add whisked, smooth yogurt.
18) And mix immediately to avoid curdling. Bring it to a simmer.
19) Now add cooked vegetables.
20) Mix and again simmer for 4-5 minutes. If gravy thickens too much then you can add splash of water.
21) Lastly add chopped coriander leaves.
22) Mix and turn off the stove.
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 3 tablespoons Coconut (freshly grated or frozen)
- 6-7 Cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon Poppy seeds (Khuskhus)
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 2 Cloves
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- 4-5 Black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 inch Ginger chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green chili chopped
- ⅓ cup Water
- ⅓ cup Potatoes cut into long strips
- ⅓ cup Green beans (French beans) cut into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) cut into long strips (I have used red capsicum)
- ⅓ cup Carrot cut into long strips
- ⅓ cup Green peas
- ⅓ cup Cauliflower (gobi) separated into florets
- ** Total 2 cups of vegetables (increase or decrease the amount of any veggies as per your liking)
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ½ cup Onion finely chopped
- 1 medium Tomato pureed
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoon Plain yogurt (Curd or dahi) whisked till smooth
- 1 ½ cups Water to make gravy
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
First chop and prep the vegetables and cook them till soft. For cooking choose any one method from steaming, boiling, cooking in microwave or sauteing in pan.
While veggies are cooking, take all the paste ingredients into the grinder jar and make smooth paste.
Also prep rest of the ingredients for korma curry.
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add onions and cook till they becomes soft and translucent.
Then add pureed tomato and cook till all the water is gone and it becomes thick paste.
Now mix in salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder, cook for a minute,
Next mix in prepared paste and cook for a minute.
Then add water to get curry consistency and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
Now add whisked yogurt and mix immediately otherwise it may get curdled.
Now add cooked veggies and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Lastly add coriander leaves and turn off the stove.