Today’s recipe is stuffed dum aloo. Authentically potatoes are stuffed with khoya. I wanted to make little bit lighter so I stuffed with paneer. Its gravy is made from common onions and tomatoes. This is nice creamy gravy with delicious stuffed potatoes.
Bharwan Dum Aloo
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
For potato stuffing
- 2 oz Paneer
- 5 Cashew nuts chopped
- 5 Almonds chopped
- 2 Green chilies chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- 6 medium Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Oil + more for deep frying
- 1 ½ medium Onion chopped roughly
- ½ inch Ginger
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 Green chilies
- 3 Dried red chilies
- 3 medium Tomato chopped roughly
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 Green cardamoms
- 2 tablespoons Heavy whipping cream or fresh cream or malai
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Wash the potatoes. Peel them and cut into half. (I did not peel them because that layer was very thin.) Pet them dry using paper towel.
- Once oil is hot enough, deep fry potatoes till they are brown. Drain them and put them on paper towel. Let them cool.
- Meanwhile mix all ingredients of stuffing. Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop the middle and stuff them.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add chopped onions and cook till translucent. Let them cool little bit. Grind into puree with ginger, garlic, whole dried red chilies, and green chilies.
- Take 1 cup of water and chopped tomatoes in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat till tomatoes are soft. Let it cool little bit, remove extra water and grind into puree.
- Heat the remaining oil in same pan.
- Once hot add onion puree and cook it for 4 minutes.
- Add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Cook it for 1 minute.
- Add tomato puree and cook it for 5 minutes. (Add water if required as per your liking consistency.) Stir in between.
- Add salt and heavy whipping cream. Mix well.
- Just before serving add stuffed potatoes to gravy and cook it for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Roti or paratha or naan
Sliced onions with few lemon drops
Buttermilk on side