Vrat ke chawal ki kheer or samak ki kheer - made from barnyard millets, milk, and sugar. For the flavoring cardamom powder and saffron is added.
This sama ke chawal ki kheer does taste similar to regular rice kheer. And I made it the same way I make my rice kheer which is very easy to make.
Vrat ke chawal also known as Samo, Samvat Rice, Moraiyo, Mordhan, swang ke chawal, samak rice, barnyard millet.
While you are on fasting, you need the energy to do your day to day work and this will give you energy as well makes your stomach filled. Also, this millet is very healthy and nutritious.
To give some different flavors to this kheer, you can try adding rose water or rose essence. Even you can add kewda water. Here I have not added, I have just used saffron and cardamom powder.
How to make Sama ke chawal ki kheer?
1) Wash barnyard millet well. And soak in enough water for at least 30 minutes.
2) After 30 minutes, drain all the water. Heat the milk in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Add rice to it.
3) Add saffron.
4) And cook it till samo rice gets cooked properly. It will take about 10-12 minutes. So stir in between and also keep scraping the sides of the pan for easier cleaning afterward.
5) Add sugar and mix.
6) Add chopped nuts and raisins.
7) Add cardamom powder and mix well.
8) Cook for another 2-3 minutes or till kheer thicken slightly. Then turn off the stove.
9) How to check that kheer is ready? When you take kheer in a spoon and you pour it back, thickened milk and cooked rice should drop together. If milk and rice look separated then let it simmer and thicken it more.
You can serve this kheer warm or chilled. If you are planning to serve kheer chilled then cook for a little less time after adding sugar and don’t make too thick. Because once it cools it will thicken.
Serving suggestion: Serve as a sweet during fasting days or vrat. As I said it can be served warm or chilled. To serve cold, let it come to room temperature then let it chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours and keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
📋 Recipe Card
Vrat Ke Chawal Ki Kheer (Samvat Rice Kheer)
- ¼ cup Sama ke chawal (Moraiyo or barnyard millet)
- 2 ½ cups Milk
- few strands Saffron
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 5 Almonds chopped
- 5 Cashew nuts chopped
- 5 Raisins
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- Wash barnyard millet well. And soak in enough water for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain all the water.
- Heat the milk in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Add rice to it.
- Add saffron.
- And cook it till samo rice gets cooked properly. It will take about 10-12 minutes. So stir in between and also keep scraping the sides of the pan.
- Add sugar and mix.
- Add chopped nuts and raisins.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes or till kheer thicken slightly.
- Then turn off the stove.