Methi Malai Paneer Recipe (Restaurant style)
You’ll love this Restaurant style methi malai paneer recipe! The gravy is rich, creamy, medium spicy with a hint of bitterness from fenugreek leaves.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 2 Servings
For cashew-almond paste:
- 5 Cashew nuts
- 5 Almonds
- 3-4 tablespoons Warm water
For onion paste:
- 1 medium or 1 cup Onion sliced
- 1/2 inch Ginger chopped
- 1 clove Garlic chopped
- 1 Green chili slit
- ¾ cup Water
For methi malai paneer recipe:
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Cloves
- ½ inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Fenugreek leaves (methi leaves) plucked, measured, washed and then chopped
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) crushed
- 200 grams or 7 oz Paneer cut lengthwise or cubes
- ¼ cup Heavy whipping cream if using malai then use 2 tablespoons as malai is thick and rich compared to heavy whipping cream
Making the cashew-almond paste:
Making onion paste:
Take onion paste ingredients in a pan. Turn the heat on medium heat.
Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or till onions turn soft.
Let it cool down a bit. Then make a smooth puree out of it. If there is too much water then you can drain some out before grinding.
Making methi malai paneer recipe:
Now heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and cloves. Saute for a minute.
Then mix in prepared onion paste, sprinkle some salt.
Cook it till all the moisture is evaporated and it starts to leave the sides of the pan. Do stir in between.
Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Mix well and cook for a minute.
Add chopped methi leaves. Mix well and cook for a minute.
Add water. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes, so methi leaves get cooked.
Stir in the prepared cashew-almond paste. bring to a simmer.
Add garam masala and crushed kasoori methi. Mix well.
Mix in paneer pieces. let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add more water if needed to get your liking gravy consistency.
Lastly, add heavy cream.
Mix, let it come to a simmer and then turn off the stove heat.
If you find methi leaves are bitter then to get rid some of the bitterness follow these steps.
- Pluck the methi leaves, wash really well and keep in the bowl or colander.
- Sprinkle salt over it and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- During this time leaves will ooze out the water. Squeeze it and remove excess water.
- Chop them and use in the recipe.
Calories: 628kcal | Carbohydrates: 18.4g | Protein: 26.7g | Fat: 55.1g | Saturated Fat: 23.9g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 1310mg | Potassium: 251mg | Fiber: 3.5g | Sugar: 3.4g
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving
Please comment below and give ★ ratings