Panchmel Dal Recipe (Rajasthani Panchratna Dal Recipe)
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
For pressure cooking:
- 2 tablespoons Urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
- 2 tablespoons Chana dal (Split bengal gram)
- 3 tablespoons Yellow moong dal (split and skinless)
- 2 tablespoons Arhar dal (toor dal or split pigeon peas)
- 1 tablespoons Masoor dal
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ cups Water
For Rajasthani Panchmel Dal Recipe:
- 1 ½ tablespoons Ghee (Clarified butter)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- ½ cup Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ¾ cup Tomato chopped
- ¼ inch Ginger julienned
- 2 Green chilies slit
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Water or as needed
Pressure cooking the dal:
Wash all five dals together under running cold water till water runs clear.
If you have time then soak them in water for 15-20 minutes, or skip this step.
Take washed dal into pressure cooker along with salt, turmeric powder and water.
Cover and cook for 4-5 whistles on medium heat, then turn off the stove and let the pressure go down by itself.
Then open the lid, dal should be soft and mushy.
Making panchmel dal or panchratna dal recipe:
Heat the ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds, once they sizzle add cloves and hing. Saute for few seconds.
Immediately add onions and cook till they are soft and translucent.
Now mix in ginger paste and garlic paste, cook for a minute.
Now add remaining salt, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook for few seconds.
Mix in tomatoes, ginger and green chilies. Cook till tomatoes are soft.
Now mix in boiled dal along with some water to get right dal consistency.
Let it simmer for 4-5 minutes and then turn off the stove.
Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 28.6g | Protein: 10.4g | Fat: 7.8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 351mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 7.8g | Sugar: 4g | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2.5mg
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving
Please comment below and give ★ ratings