Crispy Kothimbir Vadi Recipe (Maharashtrian Snack)
Maharashtrian style Kothimbir vadi recipe - These savory cilantro fritters are steamed first then fried till crisp. Yes, they are super delicious, crispy around the edges and soft from inside.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 Servings
For Kothimbir Vadi Recipe:
- 1 bunch Cilantro or coriander leaves approx 85-90 grams or 3 oz or 2 cups loosely packed
- 2 Green chilies
- ½ inch Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup Besan (Gram flour)
- ¼ cup Rice flour
- Salt to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons Sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons Water
- 6 tablespoons Oil for shallow frying
Pluck the leaves and discard the stems.
Wash the leaves very well by dunking them into the water.
Spread the washed leaves on the kitchen or paper towel, pat dry the leaves. If you have time then let them dry on their own.
Chop the cilantro leaves and keep them aside.
Make a coarse paste of ginger, garlic, green chilies without adding any water.
Making Kothimbir Vadi Recipe:
Take chopped cilantro, besan, rice flour, salt, baking soda, prepared paste, spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder) and sesame seeds in a bowl.
Mix thoroughly using your fingers and thumb.
Then add little water at a time and knead into a dough. Because of besan it can become sticky, so you may need to wash your hand, apply oil on your palm and knead into a smooth dough.
Prepare the steamer by adding a glassful or two of water and let it come to a simmer. Grease the steamer tray.
Divide the dough into two equal portions and roll into 6-inch cylinder logs.
Arrange the logs in a steamer tray a few inches apart.
Steam for 17-18 minutes. Check by inserting a knife or toothpick in the center. It should come out clean.
Remove it from the steamer, let it cool to touch, then slice into half inch thick slices.
Deep fry or shallow fry them into oil till they are light golden brown crispy from both sides.
Remove it to a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil and serve them warm or at room temperature.
Steam kothimbir vadi in instant pot:
- Turn on the instant pot with saute mode. Add around 2 glasses of water in the inner pot of instant pot and let the water come to a boil.
- Grease the plate or container with oil that fits into your instant pot. Arrange the logs in it few inches apart.
- Once the water starts boiling, Place a rack in the inner pot and on top place the plate/container that contains vadi logs.
- Cover with the lid, keep valve to the venting position. Or you can use the regular glass lid instead.
- Cancel the saute mode, start the steam mode. Put the external timer for 17 minutes.
Calories: 328kcal | Carbohydrates: 23.9g | Protein: 6.7g | Fat: 23.3g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 649mg | Potassium: 352mg | Fiber: 3.9g | Sugar: 2.9g
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving
Please comment below and give ★ ratings