Cabbage Rice Recipe (Indian Cabbage Pulao)
This cabbage rice is a simple, satisfying dish packed with Indian flavors. This cabbage pulao is easy to make and requires only 15 minutes.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 3 cups Cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons Peanuts
- 2 Dried red chilies
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 ½ cups Cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 tablespoons Desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon Lemon juice or Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped
Use the leftover rice or cook the basmati rice beforehand and let the rice cool down before using in the recipe.
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. As soon as they start to crackle, add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Then add peanuts, dried red chilies, and curry leaves. Saute till peanuts are light golden in color.
Add turmeric powder and hing.
Immediately add cabbage, bell pepper, and salt, mix well. Cover and cook till veggies are soft and tender.
Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and desiccated coconut. Mix well and cook for a minute.
Add cooked rice and mix really well. Cook for 2 minutes or till the rice gets heated through.
Lastly, add lemon juice and cilantro, stir and serve.
- Instead of bell pepper, you can add other veggies like green peas, julienned carrots.
- Or skip the addition of other veggies and use cabbage only.
Calories: 431kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 7.4g | Fat: 31.6g | Saturated Fat: 7.6g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 618mg | Potassium: 351mg | Fiber: 7.2g | Sugar: 4.6g
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving
Please comment below and give ★ ratings