Rajasthani Churma Recipe – When we serve dal bati, a side of this is the best accompaniment. Hence it is called dal bati churma.
While making the bati, I have made few extra to make churma. Yes, batis are crushed and mixed with sugar, ghee and nuts. It is that simple.
There are few variation to making it. My mother-in-law makes it by frying the dough dumplings. Sometimes she makes ladoo out of it. While this one is made from whole wheat bati which are baked in oven.
This Rajasthani churma is semi-sweet dish. Meaning it is not sweet like dessert. That’s why it pairs perfectly with lightly spiced dal bati.
You can enjoy this as is in original form (coarse powder form). Or you can go step further and make ladoos. In that case, you need to add more ghee and sugar.
How to make churma recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) To blanch the almonds and pistachios, soak them in enough hot water for 15-20 minutes.
2) After that discard the water and peel the skin off. Now slice them using sharp knife.
4) Break them using your hand and add into the grinder jar.
5) Grind into coarse powder.
6) Remove it to a bowl.
7) Now add melted warm ghee.
8) Mix well till everything is incorporated well. If it looks dry then you can add more ghee.
9) Now add sugar, cardamom powder and nuts.
10) Mix well and it is ready to serve.
Serving suggestion: This rajasthani churma is served on side with dal bati. Or you can enjoy it as a dessert too.
Rajasthani Churma Recipe
US measuring cups are used (1 cup = 240 ml)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240 ml)
- 4 no. Bati
- 4 tablespoons Ghee (Clarified butter) , Melted and warm
- ¼ cup Sugar , powdered
- ¼ teaspoon Green cardamom seeds powder
- 6-7 Almonds blanched and slilced
- 6-7 Pistachios blanched and slilced
Making Churma Recipe:
- Soak the almonds and pistachios in hot water for 15-20 minutes. Then peel the skin and slice them.
- Grind the bati coarsely into the grinder and remove it to a bowl.
- Add melted warm ghee and mix till everything is incorporated well.
- Then add sugar, sliced nuts and cardamom powder and mix.
Remove it to a serving bowl, garnish with more nuts and serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 serving