Kaddu ki sabzi recipe - a vegetable side dish made from pumpkin that goes perfect with hot pooris. It is QUICK recipe yet delicious.
What to expect from this sabji? It has balanced sweet, spicy and tangy flavors combined.
Sweetness comes from the pumpkin itself and sugar. Spicy taste comes from red chili powder and green chilies. Tangy taste comes from the amchur powder aka dried mango powder.
It tastes BEST when made with very minimal spices. So stick with the recipe and do not add any extra spices than mentioned.
Mustard oil gives unique flavor to the sabzi. But if you do not like the strong taste of this oil then follow this to make it less pungent.Heat the oil till it is smoking then turn off the stove and let it cool down completely. Then to use in the recipe heat again on medium heat and make tempering.
In Northern part of India, this sabzi is made during Navratri or any religious occasions. Of Course, the spices used are only those which are allowed during fasting and use the sendha namak instead of regular salt.
Many times kaddu ki sabzi is the part of wedding menu and served with garama garam puris.
Many do not like the taste of pumpkin. Hubby is one of them. But he liked this sabji. So I guess if you are one of those pumpkin haters then you may like this. Give it a try.
To make this gluten free, make sure to use pure, natural asafetida aka hing.
How to make kaddu ki sabzi recipe (Step by Step Photos):
1) Heat the mustard oil in a pan. Once hot add methi seeds and saute for 30-40 seconds.
2) Now add chopped ginger and green chilies.
3) Saute for a minute.
4) Then add hing and turmeric powder.
5) Immediately add kaddu.
6) Mix well.
7) Add salt and red chili powder.
8) Mix well so the spices are coated evenly to the pumpkin pieces. Also add ½ cup of water.
9) Cover the pan and cook till it becomes soft. Do stir once or twice in between and make sure that it is not sticking to the pan.
10) Now using spatula, mash few pieces. DO NOT mash completely otherwise it becomes paste like. We need chunky texture.
11) Lastly add amchur powder and sugar.
12) Mix well. Taste it and adjust the salt, sugar and amchur as needed to get balanced flavor. Turn off the stove.
Pumpkin sabzi is ready to serve. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Kaddu ki sabzi recipe (Pumpkin sabzi)
- 300 grams or 2 ½ cups pumpkin (kaddu) peeled, seeds removed and cut into cubes, Kaddu
- 1 tablespoon Mustard oil
- 7-8 Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger chopped
- 2 small Green chilies chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Amchur powder (dried mango powder)
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar
Making kaddu ki sabzi recipe:
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan.
- Once hot add methi seeds and saute for 30-40 seconds.
- Now add chopped ginger and green chilies. Saute for a minute.
- Then add hing and turmeric powder.
- Immediately add kaddu. Mix well.
- Add salt and red chili powder. Mix well so the spices are coated evenly to the pumpkin pieces. Also add ½ cup of water.
- Cover the pan and cook till it becomes soft. Do stir once or twice in between.
- Now using spatula, mash few pieces. DO NOT mash completely otherwise it becomes paste like. We need chunky texture.
- Lastly add amchur powder and sugar. Mix well. Taste it and adjust the salt, sugar and amchur as needed to get balanced flavor.
- Turn off the stove.