Once you try this homemade chipotle sauce recipe you’ll never go back to the store-bought one. Quick and easy to make, we love to serve this with any type of tacos or as a dipping sauce for burritos, chips, fries, or drizzle over the nachos, salads.
❤️Why I Love This Recipe
- You’ll need only 5 minutes and a blender.
- It is a little creamy and super spicy with smokey flavors (Yup! that’s my kind of sauce).
- Very forgiving recipe and easy to customize. E.g. you can make more creamy, less spicy. See the details on how to do it in the tips section below.
- A very versatile dipping or topping sauce. See the serving ideas below.
- Because of its bold flavors, it can jazz up your boring meal into something delicious, mouthwatering.
NOTE: Most chipotle sauce recipes you’ll find on the internet are heavier on creaminess and less spicy hence you see lighter color with just a tinge of chipotle peppers. I feel that’s lacking the real chipotle smokey flavor. Mine is focused on chipotle peppers, super smokey, super spicy with little creaminess.
Here is the pic of ingredients to make the easy homemade chipotle sauce. Very few (8 ingredients) and the end result is superb.
Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce: This is the main ingredient. All the smokiness and spicy taste come from this only. Very easily available in any American grocery stores’ Mexican aisle. If you have never tried it, you’re missing it!!
Sour cream: If you have Mexican crema on hand then use that. I didn’t want to buy a jar of it just to use in this recipe. So I have used sour cream. Or you can use greek yogurt.
Chili powder: This is not the Indian red chili powder. It is the American chili powder which is a mixture of different chilies with few other seasonings.
🎥Watch The Recipe Video
🍳Step By Step Photo Instructions
Take everything in the blender jar or food processor and blend until smooth. Super easy, right?
Pic1. Sour cream, mayonnaise, chipotle peppers added.
Pic2. Salt, spices (chili powder, cumin powder, garlic powder), and lime juice added.
Pic3. Cilantro is added.
Pic4. Everything is blended well and chipotle sauce is ready.
- Want to make less spicy and more creamy?
Instead of the whole can of chipotle peppers. Just use 2-3 peppers and with little adobo sauce. The color of your chipotle sauce will be lighter than mine.
- Make drizzle consistency (like dressing) for your salads or bowls by adding little water and adjust as per your liking. But make sure not to thin too much otherwise, it dilutes the flavors. The consistency of this homemade sauce is super thick
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
🍽 Serving Ideas
- Serve with any type of tacos (like potato tacos, paneer tacos), tostadas or quesadillas.
- Use as a dipping sauce for burritos, sweet potato fries, potato wedges, zucchini fries or simply dip your tortilla chips into it.
- Make a dressing consistency and drizzle over the nachos or burrito bowls or salads.
- Keep the consistency thick and spread over the bread/bun for your burgers and sandwiches.
PS Tried this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section. I always appreciate your feedback! Plus, Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all the latest updates.
📋 Recipe Card
- 1 (7oz) can Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ½ cup Sour cream (Mexican crema or Greek yogurt works well too)
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 8-10 sprigs Cilantro
- Take everything in the blender or food processor jar.
- Blend till everything is smooth.
- Pour into a serving bowl.
Instead of the whole can of chipotle peppers. Just use 2-3 peppers and with little adobo sauce. The color of your chipotle sauce will be lighter than mine. Adjust to dressing consistency to drizzle over your salads or bowls. Add little water and adjust as per your liking. But make sure not to thin too much otherwise, it dilutes the flavors. Storage: It stays good for up to 3 months in the refrigerator in an airtight container.